New to scanning and RR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewpu04

Hello all,
My name is Mike and I live in central NJ. I am actually a TV engineer who had been assigned to programming a few scanners (BCT15Xs) as part of a project. Well now I am hooked. I learned how to program them from resources like RR, so thanks to all of you out there for the assist, even if you don't know you helped. I updated the firmware on the units, subscribed to an RR premium account, got a copy of FreeSCAN, downloaded all of the local frequencies, and off I went scanning away.

I purchased my first gear which was a BCD996XT and a Comet BNC W100RX all-band whip. So far, I have had good results for table-top scanning. The RR database download was an immense start. I now can program conventional systems from the front panel and modify them as well. Not yet able to do trunking or P25 setups yet, but I'll get there. I am listening to the trunked and digital systems in my area thanks to the RR download.

So I guess my question is, whats the threshold for number of scanners you listen to at the same time? I get pretty overloaded after 4 of them if they are all going at the same time or close to it, so I was curious what more experienced people had.

lep

I have 7 but I rarely listen to more than 3 at a time. Usually I listen to the same trunking system on the 3 in use, it is amazing how much traffic is 'missed' just listening to a single one,..especially onhe same incident where pd/fire/rescue are all 3 dispatched individually and do not communicate with each other by radio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I love to listen to public safety and I dispatch for an alerting service.

It is not unusual for me to be listening to three scanners on my desk plus 2 "Scanner Live" software windows scanning 10 feeds each.

After a while you kinda get "an ear" for it by recognizing dispatcher voices, unit numbers, and dispatching styles, but then again I've been doing this for around 50 years.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike, welcome to RR. You can see how many radios I have in my BIO. Now the max amount of scanners I have going at one time is three.

mikewpu04

Thanks for all of your great responses.

It looks like I will be starting with two... One analog only scanner and the 996XT. I will have to work on my listening skills for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.