I need a cheap scanner to listen to police and ems frequencies + basic help me:

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtemt123

I'm trying to pick up basic EMS, police, and fire frequencies. I need a scanner that I can pick up for >$300 so that I can listen to these frequencies. What type of divice should I be looking for, where can I get it, how do I program it, etc.

I'm very new to this stuff. Thanks for the help.

n5ims

I'm trying to pick up basic EMS, police, and fire frequencies. I need a scanner that I can pick up for >$300 so that I can listen to these frequencies. What type of divice should I be looking for, where can I get it, how do I program it, etc.

I'm very new to this stuff. Thanks for the help.

First off, welcome to Radio Reference.

The type (and often the cost) of the scanner you'll need is directly related to what you want to listen to. Unfortunately that's not as easy as PD, FD, or even Dog Catcher. It's really about what types of radio systems what you want to hear uses. If they use a trunked digital radio system (don't worry about what that is, only if they use it) you'll need a digital capable scanner (generally the most expensive type out there). If they use standard an analog conventional system then the lowest cost scanner will do the job. Once you find out what type of systems are in use in your area, a look at the RR WIKI (start here for that --> Category:Radio Models - The RadioReference Wiki) will help you find the scanner that will work for what you want.

Be aware though that some systems simply can't be monitored because they're encrypted or the system isn't one that any scanner is made to work on (generally proprietary systems like OpenSky, ProVoice, and MotoTRBO).

I know your next question, "How do I find out what types of systems are used in my area and what frequencies they operate on?" (did I guess correctly?). The answer is just a few clicks away. See the entry called "Databases" on the dark blue menu bar above? That's your key to answering that very important question. Click "Databases" and then "Frequency Database" from the pop-up menu. Select your country (The United States is the default so you'll probably already see the clickable map you need). Next select your state (province or whatever your country's map shows) and continue narrowing down where the selections to find where you live and what to monitor. For the US, the states will have you select your county, etc.

Once you have your area displayed, find what you may want to monitor. They may be listed directly on that page, and that's good. They may also be part of a larger system and hopefully a link to that system will be shown under your town's name. If not, the list of large systems that cover your county are listed at the bottom of the page. Look through that to see if one has a name that's promising and click on it. If not, back up to the county page and try another system. Chances are you'll find your town listed. The type of system they use will be on that page (Mode column for most, Type column for large systems).

Good luck finding what you need. If you post your location (state, county, and city) folks here will be glad to help out as well.

vtemt123

Thanks. How do I tell my scanner (once I choose one) which frequencies I want to listen to?

Let's say I want to scan the following frequencies:

155.10700 (Police)
155.16000 (EMS)
155.20000 (Fire & EMS)
150.20400 (EMS)
406.30000 (Fire)

How do I get it to scan between those 5 frequencies only?

vtemt123

Vermont. Chittenden County (Not high population density, but nowhere near rural).

How do I know if I need a digital scanner or not? When I look at frequencies it doesn't tell me if it's digital or not.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Thanks. How do I tell my scanner (once I choose one) which frequencies I want to listen to?

Let's say I want to scan the following frequencies:

155.10700 (Police)
155.16000 (EMS)
155.20000 (Fire & EMS)
150.20400 (EMS)
406.30000 (Fire)

How do I get it to scan between those 5 frequencies only?

In a typical direct entry scanner you just enter those into bank 1 and press scan. Simple as that!

By the way, what town do you live in? Those frequencies don't match any towns in your county.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Following the link I noticed two towns use digital one being encrypted other clear in open. Personally I would get a digital scanner. Granted majority is in analog but from experience when one switches others eventually upgrade too over time. Just a thought.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest taking a step up from the basic analog scanner. I assume that means digital and probably trunking as well. What I do know is that I can listen to emergency dispatch on my old analog scanner, but when the fire dept or ems takes it the traffic moves to 800 or 900 MHz and I am lost.

vtemt123

I think I will go with analog (at least for now). Only a couple of towns use digital and they are encrypted anyway. Plus, I'm on a rescue squad and I will mostly be scanning fire/ems.

Those frequencies I used were total random.

I'm considering the BCT15X

AC2OY

In 1987 my Realstic Pro-2006 recieved 25-1300kHz. To the OP read,era search,and check classifieds,Craigslist,eBay,and maybe pawn shops or if you have a electronics or radio shop near you.Good luck!!!

millrad

Premium Subscriber
I just sold a Regency MX3000 30-channel analog scanner for $30 on eBay. It would have served you perfectly.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at that county in Vermont--there is not one trunked system or even digital it looks as they are all analog,just a coupe of encrypted channels for police,i guess they don't want to spend that kind of money to upgrade which is a plus for the gentleman asking about info in his county he wont have to spend 500 dollars on a scanner.

vtemt123

What about Cumberland CO, Maine? I travel there a lot (My family has a vacation house there). I only see FM and FMN. How do you tell if a frequency is being trunked or not?

Does someone, by any chance, have an example of a county with lots of digital and trunked signals?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.