Programming help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachnut63

New user here, and have given up on manually programming my uniden 396xt. If anyone knows of anybody I can contact about programming this or me, in the Shelby, NC area. Can be any direction to 50 miles or so from Shelby .
If you know of any person, place or business I can contact, I certainly thank you for letting me know.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can do this yourself, but most folks will use the freeware program FreeScan to get started - and you need a USB-serial cable, but we're getting ahead of ourselves...

This article in our wiki gives you all the links you need to get started. I would use the Easier to Read manual, along with the explanation of trunking, to start, as those 2 topics will take you a long way to starting to understand what you need to do

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

As mentioned above, some find it useful to go over to their state's forum (NC in your case) and ask for a file. Be sure to specify what software and scanner you're using. Sometimes that helps turn the lightbulb on.

This is far and away cheaper than having to send it to someone - and what happens if you need to change it, or something gets hosed up with the programming? You're out more money. Learning to do it yourself is, by far, the better bet...HTH...Mike

teufler

I can relate, as its been 5 days of hasseling with the radio. Went from a 296d to a 396xt. Have worked with scanners for 40 years, from radio shack crystal units, a bc101, then into trunking. 396xt is a nother animal. But get a copy of freescan, very similar to butels arc-xt. First the 396 calls banks, systems. You can tell by looking at the software what icons to click. Scanner systems turn off and on with quick keys. These function the same way as the 296d and other scanners selecting banks to listen to or turn off.if your computeras a serial port, you do not need a usb to serial convertor but if you do not, thats a whole nother subject to discuss. Some work and some do not. You must create a system, then a site, then groups. This was confusing bit the software will do this very easy.you first create a site, saying what type of sytem you desire to listen to, conventional, motorola, etc. You highlight the type then give it a name. Like some fire dept or police dept..you will see a green cross, click and enter your data. If a conventional system, you are done.if you have multiple frequencies, keep enter the green cross, fill the blanks and move on. Trunking you create the system, then a site (where you enter the frequencies the trunking system uses, then the group where you enter the tgids. Try to make a quick ket on the site as that is how you can bring up a bank (system) like we did before on other scanners.
Mike mccrann, wd0gsy st. Peters, mo

kd0mpz

Premium Subscriber
New user

I just got a homepatrol and sentinel set up. I have 2.04 firmware vr. But I can not download database.

Status
Not open for further replies.