Getting back on the horse - Scanner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

osros

Feed Provider
Hey all,

Im not new to scanning, have done some early trunk scanning, I been monitoring SW & Scanners off and on for years I been out of it for the last 3 years or so just using internet apps, I like to get back into it again full swing. I have a fair amount of equipment but all are aging in features compared to todays digital stuff.

My question is I started to do my research on a new scanner and yes the Pro 106 vs Home Patrol questions again. :p I looked what was on the site and read old reviews from 2010 need new input.

Being new to the digital scanners and programming these radios which would be the better choice? Btw i live in the North Texas area so Dallas and north to OK would be my main travel areas.

I like the ease of the Home Patrol and the GPS features look interesting, I have a question on it, on a early review it stated the HP can only be programmed by dealer w/zip code? Has that changed? is it completely user programable from display or Software now?

I know nothing of the Pro-106 other than good reviews and comments.

I want a portable for now and will take it with me in car, GPS is nice but not a must. Im leaning toward the HP but Im more than happy to work with a scanner I can program by PC with less bling if it is the better scanner.

In the long run I may just get one now the other later and have both but like to know what I should start with as my first up to date scanner.

Here is what I currently have:

RS Pro-2006
2-Uniden BC785 one with P25 card
AOR AR5000A +3
ICOM IC-R3
Uniden BC-246T
Yaesu VX-8

Any input most appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.