Antenna RF Power Handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted to know what it means by the antenna RF power handling. I have an antenna that says its rated at 50W. I thought that meant the power for the input to a repeater but I could be wrong. Thank you for your help.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

It means the RF power output of the final amplifier in the transmitter connected to the antenna. Actually it's the power measured at the end of the feedline at the antenna, but effectively it will be very close to the transmitter output power.... Assuming a good feedline.
(And this is in the Scanners & Receivers Forum because....?)

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Antenna rating

It is the amount of RF output from a transmitter that can be handled without damaging the antenna.

Thank you for your replies. I did not know what right forum to put it in because there were too many forums. It does not mean the radio power goes from 4W to 50W with the antenna on it?

Anthony Lee

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hello I wanted to know what it means by the antenna RF power handling. I have an antenna that says its rated at 50W. I thought that meant the power for the input to a repeater but I could be wrong. Thank you for your help.

It's simply the power level that you can apply to the antenna without it arcing, melting, or catching fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.