Recommend an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyFreq

I have an old Sony Wavehawk - ICF-SC1 model. Was never really crazy with the reception I got with the original antenna and thought 10 years later was maybe a time to buy a new one. I've been researching them a bit but am confused by all the different types out there. Can someone recommend one for me to buy, under $50? Want something that will keep it portable - either telescoping or not.

Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
I have an old Sony Wavehawk - ICF-SC1 model. Was never really crazy with the reception I got with the original antenna and thought 10 years later was maybe a time to buy a new one. I've been researching them a bit but am confused by all the different types out there. Can someone recommend one for me to buy, under $50? Want something that will keep it portable - either telescoping or not.

Thanks!

What do you like to listen on the scanner ? Favorite bands ? Air band, vhf low VHF UHF uhf high etc ?

nyFreq

Thanks for the replies. I'm an amateur - so I'm not really sure which bands these are. I basically just programmed the thing with a mixture of everything I'm interested in listening to. Includes mostly:

Local police/fire/emergency, air, marine, local news stations chatter, etc. One thing if it makes any difference - I would like to be able to listen at work if I can - and I am on the 29th floor of a building in Manhattan. For some reason I can't really pick up much from here - but I think it may be because my current antenna is damaged.

I used to be able to listen to coast guard communications in the NYC rivers and harbors, tugboats, subway dispatchers, etc. Also, there are two major construction sites next to my building and I was trying to see if I can pick up any of the communication on their handhelds - but not sure what they're using or if I can pick that up. I presume it's probably digital.

Anyway, sorry for the wishy washy answer. I guess I need something that is versatile enough to use for most things. I was reading about one of the telescoping antennas and I didn't realize that that collapsing or extending it changes the bands you're picking up. Is this too involved for my radio at this point?

Thanks again!

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the replies. I'm an amateur - so I'm not really sure which bands these are. I basically just programmed the thing with a mixture of everything I'm interested in listening to. Includes mostly:

Local police/fire/emergency, air, marine, local news stations chatter, etc. One thing if it makes any difference - I would like to be able to listen at work if I can - and I am on the 29th floor of a building in Manhattan. For some reason I can't really pick up much from here - but I think it may be because my current antenna is damaged.

I used to be able to listen to coast guard communications in the NYC rivers and harbors, tugboats, subway dispatchers, etc. Also, there are two major construction sites next to my building and I was trying to see if I can pick up any of the communication on their handhelds - but not sure what they're using or if I can pick that up. I presume it's probably digital.

Anyway, sorry for the wishy washy answer. I guess I need something that is versatile enough to use for most things. I was reading about one of the telescoping antennas and I didn't realize that that collapsing or extending it changes the bands you're picking up. Is this too involved for my radio at this point?

Thanks again!

The Nagoya (cheap copy of diamond works good) or a diamond telescopic metal antenna will work for you.

Here I eBay search for you.

Diamond

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251341011733
Nagoya

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300864526018

I use one of these there rare

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281158422215

Status
Not open for further replies.