2 RTL-SDR on same box same type

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnm_000

I have teo R820T tuner that i am trying to use one on the signal and one on the control but when i try to get the second one going it gives me a device error. is there something im missing? do i need to buy a different dongle just to make it easier. ( they are pretty cheap) or do i need to run it on another pc?

using in concert with DSD and UniTrunker

mnm_000

Another person

Another person has to have tried this? No one else our there wih this issue?

*bump*

I have teo R820T tuner that i am trying to use one on the signal and one on the control but when i try to get the second one going it gives me a device error. is there something im missing? do i need to buy a different dongle just to make it easier. ( they are pretty cheap) or do i need to run it on another pc?

using in concert with DSD and UniTrunker

rbm

For what it's worth..................

I've run four R820T's and three E4000's on the same computer. (With powered USB 3.0 hubs)
Depending on your computer, your USB port may, or may not supply enough power for more than one dongle.

I don't use DSD or Unitrunker with them though.

I just select the one I want to use from the Configure dropdown box in SDRSharp.

Or, start one instance of SDRSharp, then plug in the next dongle and start another instance, etc etc.

Rich

Edit: I'm assuming that each of your dongles works separately and the zadig driver is properly installed for both USB ports.

Last edited:

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
In my limited playing thusfar I have been able to get two dongles working using a non powered hub.. i dont know if dongles from different mfrs have different power draws.. however I have learned that two instances of sdr# plus unitrunker take a good amount of horsepower to run. You wont be able to do P25 on some old clunker you have laying around. I was experimenting using an old Athlon FX55 box, and while it did an analog motorola system ok, when I tried to do P25 and started DSD it choked.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
What you may need to do is change the serial number of the second device. I had to do that to get a two dongle system working with Trunk88. There is a utility that will allow you to do that; I don't have the specifics handy but a search for it should find it.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Just check that the device drivers are loaded. Both will be bulk interface 0 and 1. If both show your ready to go. Open one sdr program and set to whatever freq. you want.(make sure you select usb in the drop down for device). Once that's going, open another sdr program and set it to again whatever freq. you want. Now you should have both rtl-sdr'd running on different freqs. Just switch back and forth.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Another important note is that after you have the first dongle installed, you must remove it and then install the second dongle in another USB port. This has been my experience in any event and it has worked without fail.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
I have never had to do what scancapecod suggests. I'm sure others can chime in. Don't know what you are working with, but you shouldn't have to do that. I would think something is wrong in the setup if you do!

KC1UA

Database Admin
I have never had to do what scancapecod suggests. I'm sure others can chime in. Don't know what you are working with, but you shouldn't have to do that. I would think something is wrong in the setup if you do!

The serial number change I spoke of needs some clarification. If you are using a two dongle setup with Trunk88, that software absolutely requires one of the dongles serial numbers be changed. That said it was offered up as a suggestion, doing so won't hurt anything, and there's certainly nothing wrong with any of the at least 6 different setups I've done on PC's with two dongles attached.

Of course, your mileage may vary... :D

mnm_000

The serial number change I spoke of needs some clarification. If you are using a two dongle setup with Trunk88, that software absolutely requires one of the dongles serial numbers be changed. That said it was offered up as a suggestion, doing so won't hurt anything, and there's certainly nothing wrong with any of the at least 6 different setups I've done on PC's with two dongles attached.

Of course, your mileage may vary... :D

If you could find that info I would greatly appreciate it, i am fairly certain they are getting enuf power. I installed the drivers again for the additional USB port. Thinking that was the problem, but the moment I put in the second device it errors out. Though either device by itself works fine.

Thanks for your help

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Scancapecod, wasn't trying to step on your toe's. I just haven't had to pull one dongle to get another working. mnm_000, can you tell us what the spec's of your pc are. What windows ver. you have, can you get the dongles working by itself? ie: get one tuned to an fm station near you, pull it get the other one tuned to fm station. Most problems I have read about are people not loading the drivers correctly. Are you loading the zag drivers? Do you see your device listed if you are? Maybe tell us how you are loading the drivers. There is an sdr-install.zip at the sdr# web site that will install everything for you. Then go into the installed dir. and load the drivers with the zadig app. Under one of the menu's (not sure, not on my pc) you should check "list all devices" and you should see bulk interface 0, bulk interface 1 (if both are plugged in) The id should show them as 2838. If not then follow this Windows Software [rtlsdr.org wiki]. Hope that helps get you going.

Status
Not open for further replies.