LiFePo4 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using this battery with their scanners/base? I just started used a poly lipo 12v 1250mAmp 14wh to see how it works. Above battery seems to be safer then what I use. Would like to hear from folks that may be using this type of battery. Was an article in Pop Comm mag just recently, has me thinking. Later

prcguy

Ive been using A123 Systems LiFePo4 cells for a couple of years on amateur transceivers with great success.

I started with a 4.6AH 14v pack from Buddipole and its been great powering 100w radios at full power for a few hours at a time while portable. The A123 cells are rated at 70 amp continous discharge and there are two strings in parallel so there is virtually no voltage drop when transmitting until the pack is drained, which I have not encountered yet.

The Buddipole 4S2P pack is wired to accept one of the chargers they sell and the pack can be charged in less than 15min if you can supply enough current. The pack was a little pricy at $165 plus another $70 for the charger but its worked great for me and the pack is very light weight.

I have since found A123 Systems makes 14v gel cell replacements and one has the same type and cells as the newest Buddipole 4S2P 5AH pack and is packaged the same size as a common 7AH gel cell. This pack also has internal cell balancing so you dont need to purchase an expensive charger. Just connect 14 to 14.2v and it will charge quickly at around 10A rate. It also has a low voltage cutoff which is very important since you can damage the cells if discharged too low.

The A123 Systems 12V7 pack is around $130 which is a bargan compared to any other pack with genuine A123 cells and you can charge it from a common power supply or cigarette plug in your car with the engine running.
prcguy

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Thanks prcguy, for the info. I'll look into the A123 system battery setup. I don't want to charge up a poly pack, forget it's going and start to smell smoke someplace. I try to hang around when I charge them. later.

Status
Not open for further replies.