Will I hear anything on a "Frequency In" frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

When I do a search in my state of Vermont for frequency 460.5000, I see in the "Frequency In" column 465.5000

If I program 465.5000 into my scanner, will I hear anything on it?

I'm not exactly sure what the "Frequency In" actually means or does. Can someone explain?

n5ims

You may hear something on the input frequency, but only if the station is very close (a mile or so). That's basically why they have repeaters so the transmission is repeated so all can hear. This is why repeater stations use very tall towers so they can pick up those signals that would be missed by cars or portables with their very low antenna heights if it wasn't repeated.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
I sometimes program inputs. If I pick them up, I know they are close to me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I sometimes program inputs. If I pick them up, I know they are close to me.
I've done the same.

I have an old Regency HX1500 (looks like a handie-talkie), that sits in a drop in charger. No PL tones/DCS codes or text tags. It's definitely old enough to vote. I program the input side of the Dallas PD patrol division that covers my area in it, and either park it there, or set that as the priority. So, it will only hear units relatively close to me.

Blackink

I've programmed that Input frequency into my scanner. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if anything is heard on it.
So far-nothing....

Thanks for all the help and info regarding my question....

scover5555

Nice to have them put in. Sometimes an officer wants to tell dispatch something about an incident he doesn't want repeated and asks for them to turn the repeater off. If your close, you'll get the inside scoop on incidents.

Blackink

I've programmed that Input frequency into my scanner. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if anything is heard on it.

Update: I've had a few hits on that input frequency today and yesterday.
One thing that helps me notice this is the audible alarm I attached to that frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.