Getting back into Scanning. Need help on what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back into scanning after about 5 years. I have a few models in mind,but need to get some more input from you guys/gals before I do anything. Handheld or mobile is ok.I really don't have a preference.Even though,if I got a mobile,it would never get used in the car,but the handheld would. I give you guys a list of the models I'm looking at and my area and see what you think I should do.

Let me know your opinions on audio (digital/analog),sensitivity,etc.

Handheld:
GRE PSR-500
Radio Shack Pro-106
Uniden BCD396XT (heard it has audio problems,but I love the size)

Mobile:
GRE PSR-600
Radio Shack PRO-197
Uniden BCD996XT

My surrounding areas.
Burke County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Thanks in advance.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Since you have been out of scanning for a while you might not be aware of the fact that GRE is no longer manufacturing scanners. Their scanner group was sold to Whistler. So far no roll out of anything new from them.

I have both the Uniden 396XT and a Pro 106. Both are great radios. If size is a concern then the 396 is the one for you. The 106 decodes digital a little better in my opinion and had better audio.

If you can hold on for a while there are rumors that Uniden will be making a big announcement very soon. Check in the Uniden column.

Good luck and welcome to RR.

Thanks for the info,I wasn't aware that GRE no longer made radios. Audio is a concern,so I may look into the Pro-106 a little more. I will also check out the Uniden column to see what may be coming down the road. Thanks

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Since you have been out of scanning for a while you might not be aware of the fact that GRE is no longer manufacturing scanners. Their scanner group was sold to Whistler. So far no roll out of anything new from them.

I have both the Uniden 396XT and a Pro 106. Both are great radios. If size is a concern then the 396 is the one for you. The 106 decodes digital a little better in my opinion and had better audio.

If you can hold on for a while there are rumors that Uniden will be making a big announcement very soon. Check in the Uniden column.

Good luck and welcome to RR.

I love my RS Pro-106! Has a (to be) big difference in the Audio, clarity and volume.

jackj

If possible, hold off on any purchase until after the first of the year. Whistler will be starting production sometime in 2014 and Uniden will be announcing new models soon after the 1st. Nobody makes a scanner that will receive P25-TDMA since GRE went belly-up but the feeling is that Uniden's new models will be able to decode it. Almost all new systems in the future will be digital so it will make sense to buy a scanner that will decode digital systems. All of the currently available digital scanners will receive analog systems as well, so the only thing you lose bu buying a digital scanner is some money - they cost more.

Welcome back into the hobby.

N8IAA

Getting back into scanning after about 5 years. I have a few models in mind,but need to get some more input from you guys/gals before I do anything. Handheld or mobile is ok.I really don't have a preference.Even though,if I got a mobile,it would never get used in the car,but the handheld would. I give you guys a list of the models I'm looking at and my area and see what you think I should do.

Let me know your opinions on audio (digital/analog),sensitivity,etc.

Handheld:
GRE PSR-500
Radio Shack Pro-106
Uniden BCD396XT (heard it has audio problems,but I love the size)

Mobile:
GRE PSR-600
Radio Shack PRO-197
Uniden BCD996XT

My surrounding areas.
Burke County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Thanks in advance.

The absolute best place to ask this question is in the NC state forum. Very knowledgeable people there.
When I travel to NC, I've used my 106 and 396XT. Both work well. I do like the memory set up of the 396XT and that is why it is my main mobile receiver.
I know the latest buzz is about Phase II TDMA digital systems. As of now, NC is building out a new Phase I digital system. The old VIPER system uses a mix of analog and digital TGID's, and is active throughout the state.
HTH,
Larry

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info,I wasn't aware that GRE no longer made radios. Audio is a concern,so I may look into the Pro-106 a little more. I will also check out the Uniden column to see what may be coming down the road. Thanks

We've had discussions about audio before and some prefer one brand and some another. It's pretty much a matter of personal taste. I prefer the audio on my Uniden radios because they have less treble and a more mellow sound. On my GRE-made radios, I have to lock out the fire dispatch because my ears can't take it! But both brands are good radios. I am waiting to see what Uniden will be announcing on Nov. 16, and I am also interested in what Whistler (who bought GRE) will be coming out with in the first quarter of next year. It's an exciting time to be getting back into the hobby. Good luck and happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.