My New BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH2DJ

OK - stay with me here.....just got my new 996xt for the sole purpose of listing to a Motorola P25 system. I am around several military installations and I do know they use the P25 system.

But I know nothing about its' configuration. So, how would I program my scanner without knowing the frequencies of the system?? Can/will the "close-call" feature of the 996XT detect a P25 system?

Is there a range of freqs that are common to the DoD ELMR P25 system? I did read that if I put in the freqs the scanner would find the control channel -

I am getting a bit desperate trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Hafa from the island of Guam
NH2DJ

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Try the Military Monitoring Forums section. You can type in P25 systems in the search box, and get
information that may be helpful to you.
You can also find on the internet a readable copy of the "Easier to Read Uniden XT Scanner Manuals"
for the BCD996XT. Page 39 tells you how to program P25 systems. Or you can buy the book from
various sources, a good reference to have. Of course, If they encrypt their transmissions you won't be able to hear them.
MBill

cg

Premium Subscriber
For many locations, a control channel only search of 380-400 MHz with 12.5K steps will get you the trunked systems. Not all, but many use that.

chris

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Last edited:

NH2DJ

Thanks CG

For many locations, a control channel only search of 380-400 MHz with 12.5K steps will get you the trunked systems. Not all, but many use that.

chris

I appreciate the info. I will try a search on what you provided - and see if I can get in.

NH2DJ

Thanks For All The Help

Thanks to all for the guidance. I will be trying all the suggested solutions - I am able to listen to govguam trunked system with no problems. But I am also interested in getting onto the P25 DoD system here. I can find zero information (specific to Guam) on the system. I do know it is a Mot system, but that's it. I'll be doing my searches IAW what CG and W8RMH provided. Thanks!

NH2DJ

W8RMH: OK Thanks......but I still need pointed in the right direction. Control Channel Search - I don't see a menu item on the 996XT for this specific search? Do I do this with the "close call" function? I do see where I can do a tone search, will this accomplish the same?

SCPD

QRT
menu

Choose MENU>CUSTOM SEARCH >choose a range and pick CONTROL CH mode ON.
Pick a quickkey for the said range say 1 for the searcch you want.
should be picking custom search and the number 1 will toggle that search on and off

ex : 380.000 lower
410.000 upper

Mode AUTO
CONTROL CH. = ON.
pick ID SEARCH = ON
Quickkey 01

It will search then if a system is found it will say system 001-4021 or some other dumb number.If you find a regular system it may display something like "Depford P25" if yer lucky
From the found control channel it will find the rest of the frequecies when they transmit.
Military I think is encrypted,so good luck,you may hear a fire dept talkgroup if yer lucky!

IN CONTROL CHANNEL MODE IT WILL NOT PASS ANALOG SIGNALS YOU WILL NOT HEAR ANYTHING!

http://www.bearcat1.com/fleetgu.htm <<guam info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72evlFI01Vc <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<goto 1:06 <<<<<<<<<<<control ch search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ndimJxlm0 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<LOOK

Last edited:

NH2DJ

k2rty: Love "the shack" picture. And thanks for all the information - The procedure is exactly what I needed. I do have all the govGuam sites programmed in and those are all receiving great. New to programming the 996XT and I can tell you it was not as much as a pain as I have read about. Guam is such a small place it was just as easy to do it manually - and it gives me a chance to learn the radio layout. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.