UV5R Programming Workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz561

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a UV5R with a USB programming cable. I plan to use it with CHIRP. Since this is my first radio and I'm not licensed, I definitely do not want to transmit on it. I just want to listen in and learn for now.

With this being said, I'd like to make sure I get the proper workflow to add the frequencies to the scanner. I'm hoping to verify it with people here to make sure I'm on the right track.

1) Download CHIRP and get the USB drivers working properly.
2) Register with RR for a premium account.
3) Query the database and download the CSV for frequencies in my area.
4) Import them into CHIRP.
5) Change the "Duplex" to "SPLIT", in the offset, use '1666.666650'.
6) Write to radio.
7) Done.

By doing this, even if you hit the PTT (or any other) buttons, you will not transmit because you set the duplex to split and use that 1666.666650 offset.

If somebody can verify that I'm on the right track, that would be great.

Thanks!

ermin

I just ordered a UV5R with a USB programming cable. I plan to use it with CHIRP. Since this is my first radio and I'm not licensed, I definitely do not want to transmit on it. I just want to listen in and learn for now.

With this being said, I'd like to make sure I get the proper workflow to add the frequencies to the scanner. I'm hoping to verify it with people here to make sure I'm on the right track.

6) Write to radio.
7) Done.

By doing this, even if you hit the PTT (or any other) buttons, you will not transmit because you set the duplex to split and use that 1666.666650 offset.

Thanks!

Hello

Chirp has a feature to disable VHF & UHF transmit so you don't have to worry about the offset. It's in SETTINGS on the Other Settings tab.

Ermin

wiz561

Premium Subscriber
thanks!

Thanks for the response. I will check out that setting to disable tx.

As far as everything else goes, is that the right way to go about programming it?

Thanks!

Comint

Premium Subscriber

6) Write to radio.
7) Done.

Thanks!
1a)Read from radio.

ALWAYS Read from a Radio first. It proves that communications between the PC and the Radio is working correctly.

--
Comint

--

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before you go too much further, there have been MANY messages on the CHIRP mailing list about working with the UV5R. I'd suggest joining it and reading through them

There is also an EXTENSIVE set of wiki articles on the CHIRP wiki on cables - I'd read them as well and make sure you're getting the right cable. I've been thinking on this myself and apparently CHIRP is very sensitive to this. Here are the links...

chirp_users Info Page

CableGuide - CHIRP

CableGuide FTDI OEM Cables - CHIRP

Also be sure to always get the latest daily build - the version that's on the demo page is not current

Index of /chirp_daily

HTH...Mike

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response. I will check out that setting to disable tx.

As far as everything else goes, is that the right way to go about programming it?

Thanks!

I would definitely just disable TX instead of a crazy offset. That way when you get your ham license you just have to hook it back up and check 2 boxes and all your local freqs are ready to go.

wiz561

Premium Subscriber
I would definitely just disable TX instead of a crazy offset. That way when you get your ham license you just have to hook it back up and check 2 boxes and all your local freqs are ready to go.

Thanks for the response. I opened up Chirp (both the devel and the stable version), but couldn't find where you can go into an 'other settings' area to disable anything. Do you have to have the radio hooked up for it?

wiz561

Premium Subscriber
TX Disable

Just to give some info about this to others... It turns out that disabling the tx in the settings didn't really disable it for me. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I don't want to be fooling around much with it.

I'm also unable to set the offset to the 166...number I posted earlier in the thread.

I did find that setting duplex to "Off" (I believe) disabled transmitting. I could be wrong, but it looks like that's what worked for others online.

k6cpo

I tried disabling the TX in my Baofeng UV-5RE just to see if it would work and it didn't. However, I overheard something at my ham radio club meeting last night that might explain why. One of the members of my club who has a UV-5RA said that CHIRP won't overwrite anything that is already programmed into the radio. I tried this with a couple of settings and sure enough, he's right. To get the settings to change, I had to actually reset the entire radio and re-enter the information into the radio. On one of the channels, I actually had to delete the channel from the raio, download the remaining programming into CHIRP, reprogram that channel and upload back to the radio.

I'm beginning to think I might invest in the RT Sytems software. It's got to work better than CHIRP.

Medic115

On the daily build of 1/9/2013 you must check your A/B monitor freq. this build changes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.