RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2013, 8:43 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks again for all of the replies.

So based off much of the advice I took the radios to a programmer. They said both radios are set up as UHF and that using GMRS freqs would fit my needs. But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

So it sounds like my only real option is to sell them.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 6:15 AM
MikeOxlong's Avatar
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 5,787
Default XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david082 View Post
But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

Your programmer needs to get a new job. An XTS5000 that has trunking in it will also do conventional. There's no such thing as a trunking only XTS5000.
__________________
Mike.

To contact me please use the email function through my profile as I do not accept Private Messages.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 6:51 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,495
Default

Mike is correct. Conventional operation is the most basic function of the radio. If you order the cheapest possible XTS from Moto and don't want to pay a penny for any options, you will get a conventional radio.

And conventional operation can't be deleted from the features of the radio.

Your programmer lacks competence and knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 8:37 AM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,223
Default

And recommending GMRS for your line of work?!?!

RUN, don't walk, to another guy.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 1,447
Exclamation Your programmer is not competent.

Ditto to all of the above.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david082 View Post
Thanks again for all of the replies.

So based off much of the advice I took the radios to a programmer. They said both radios are set up as UHF and that using GMRS freqs would fit my needs. But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

So it sounds like my only real option is to sell them.
I honestly feal bad for you David,
You come here trying to get some help, and get all kinds of miss information and confusion.

Here are the FACTS,
UHF will work perfect for you, better than VHF for a city enviroment on Talkaround (Direct). And the radio's you have are VERY capable of being programmed for conventional operation.

What City do you live in? We can help get you to a good Motorola dealer.

You will have to apply for a business license, it is not expensive at all.
DO NOT let them give you GMRS, Get you own license. You will be a very happy camper.

I highly recommend you have them do a quick Check on the radio's for correct operation. May cost a little extra, but you will have piece of mind they are in working order,Up to you though.

Good luck!

Last edited by hitechRadio; 12-09-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM
svfd17's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spring Valley NY
Posts: 266
Default Re: XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david082 View Post
Thanks again for all of the replies.

So based off much of the advice I took the radios to a programmer. They said both radios are set up as UHF and that using GMRS freqs would fit my needs. But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

So it sounds like my only real option is to sell them.
I don't see any point in selling perfectly good radios, especially since you will eventually be able to get them up and running for your intended purpose, I say hold on to them and somewhere down the road you will possibly have use for them. I've purchased radios that have sat around for a good while before I was able to get them programmed, just my 2 cents.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM
svfd17's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spring Valley NY
Posts: 266
Default Re: XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechRadio View Post
I honestly feal bad for you David,
You come here trying to get some help, and get all kinds of miss information and confusion.

Here are the FACTS,
UHF will work perfect for you, better than VHF for a city enviroment on Talkaround (Direct). And the radio's you have are VERY capable of being programmed for conventional operation.

What City do you live in? We can help get you to a good Motorola dealer.

You will have to apply for a business license, it is not expensive at all.
DO NOT let them give you GMRS, Get you own license. You will be a very happy camper.

I highly recommend you have them do a quick Check on the radio's for correct operation. May cost a little extra, but you will have piece of mind they are in working order,Up to you though.

Good luck!
Very sound advice.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 3:57 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Default

Out of Curiosity David, after he told you that the 5000 was trunking only? Did he then offer to buy them from you?

Lets assume he did read the radio and he has never programed a motorola XTS5000. First off if he has the CPS once he read it it would say right in the programing tree view +CONVENTIONAL.

And just so you believe me that the guy has no clue, let me put it this way. If a public saftey trunking system went completly off the air, is it logical to think that the officers,FF, EMS Etc. would have no communications at all. No it's not, they simply change to designated direct or backup conventional repeaters. Not only that but all public saftey radio's will or should have conventional national interop Call/Tac frequencies programmed in them.

I would not deal with that shop period! I would not want him programing or servicing my radio's.

Give us the City you live in and someone on here will help you out if I can't.

It just really gets under my skin, there was a local shop that used to do the same thing to unkowoing customers, and take advantage of the situation.
Maybe the person you took it too really thinks that it is trunking only, maybe he only read the feature set, which maybe could led them to believe it is trunking only, but I dought that it is the case, I think he is/was trying to screw you over.

After everything that has been said on here lets just keep it simple.

1. We can help you find a reputable service shop.
2. The shop will help you file for a business license.
3. The shop will Program them up and service them if needed.

End result, good reliable communications! For your saftey and others!

Last edited by hitechRadio; 12-09-2013 at 4:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 4:13 PM
szron's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 245
Default

Im surprised noone said that yet.

If you are a bail enforcer then I assume you work in a rather large area. Buying a freq will be expensive and pain in a butt.

Find a local TRBO Trunking system where you can lease channels. Ask for encryption. Pay a subscriber fee.
Enjoy good coverage and secure comms without the hassle of getting own license.
__________________
K7POL
Monitoring MPSCS
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 4:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechRadio View Post
Out of Curiosity David, after he told you that the 5000 was trunking only? Did he then offer to buy them from you?

Lets assume he did read the radio and he has never programed a motorola XTS5000. First off if he has the CPS once he read it it would say right in the programing tree view +CONVENTIONAL.

And just so you believe me that the guy has no clue, let me put it this way. If a public saftey trunking system went completly off the air, is it logical to think that the officers,FF, EMS Etc. would have no communications at all. No it's not, they simply change to designated direct or backup conventional repeaters. Not only that but all public saftey radio's will or should have conventional national interop Call/Tac frequencies programmed in them.

I would not deal with that shop period! I would not want him programing or servicing my radio's.

Give us the City you live in and someone on here will help you out if I can't.

It just really gets under my skin, there was a local shop that used to do the same thing to unkowoing customers, and take advantage of the situation.
Maybe the person you took it too really thinks that it is trunking only, maybe he only read the feature set, which maybe could led them to believe it is trunking only, but I dought that it is the case, I think he is/was trying to screw you over.

After everything that has been said on here lets just keep it simple.

1. We can help you find a reputable service shop.
2. The shop will help you file for a business license.
3. The shop will Program them up and service them if needed.

End result, good reliable communications! For your saftey and others!
As a matter of fact he did offer to buy them from me.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 4:39 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Default

I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 4:44 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post
Im surprised noone said that yet.

If you are a bail enforcer then I assume you work in a rather large area. Buying a freq will be expensive and pain in a butt.

Find a local TRBO Trunking system where you can lease channels. Ask for encryption. Pay a subscriber fee.
Enjoy good coverage and secure comms without the hassle of getting own license.
That is a very good option, depending on the monthly cost and number of radios...good call!

Wide area coverage too and possibly GPS!
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 5:12 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post
Im surprised noone said that yet.

If you are a bail enforcer then I assume you work in a rather large area. Buying a freq will be expensive and pain in a butt.

Find a local TRBO Trunking system where you can lease channels. Ask for encryption. Pay a subscriber fee.
Enjoy good coverage and secure comms without the hassle of getting own license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechRadio View Post
That is a very good option, depending on the monthly cost and number of radios...good call!

Wide area coverage too and possibly GPS!
An itinerant frequency license good for an entire city, entire state or entire country is cheaper than a GMRS license over the course of 10 years.
Who said anything about needing anything other than simplex? Who is up-selling now?
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 5:24 PM
szron's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
An itinerant frequency license good for an entire city, entire state or entire country is cheaper than a GMRS license over the course of 10 years.
Who said anything about needing anything other than simplex? Who is up-selling now?
Oh! I didn't know that. I always thought you first gotta fork over dough to the frequency coordinator for studies and crap like that, then to FCC...

If you can get a itinerant frequency for his area of operation then hell yeah do it.

I'd still advocate TRBO or other DMR brands.

Cheaper and virtually same features as whacker-tastic P25.
__________________
K7POL
Monitoring MPSCS
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 8:35 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,218
Default

What's a "Key Volume Loader"? Something that programs the speaker volume in encryption mode?
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Okay this is what you do get on Ding Dong Bay and there are some good people on that site that sell good radios and get two XTS 5000 radio on the VHF side with a DES-OFB ENC boards in each radio and get yourself a nice used Key Volume Loader machine and off to the races you go.

Having two VHF radios will give you some good distance because these radios will transmit longer distances because of the higher wattage on the Tx side.

Get those radios with a good DES-OFB algorhytm programmed into the boards and nobody will ever be-able to listen to you at all. You will be gangster bail bond men's style. You can be like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

The criminals will never be-able to listen to you nor ever hear you. But these people are kind of not smart anyways. You might just be-able to get away with digital Tx and get what you need.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david082 View Post
I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area
Any one near or in Phoenix, AZ that knows a reputable dealer that can help David out?

David if you don't mind who was the dealer you went too?

Did you try Creative Communications? http://www.creativecom.com/about-cci.htm

Last edited by hitechRadio; 12-09-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 1,931
Default XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
What's a "Key Volume Loader"? Something that programs the speaker volume in encryption mode?

prcguy

Hahaha... Good one, plus "the wattage is higher"...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post
Oh! I didn't know that. I always thought you first gotta fork over dough to the frequency coordinator for studies and crap like that, then to FCC...)))
Not for itinerants. License fee only, no coordination. Not that coordination for a simplex freq or two for 5 watt portables is all that expensive. Especially in UHF. Its not. And it's not hard to do either. It's a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szron View Post
(((
I'd still advocate TRBO or other DMR brands.

Cheaper and virtually same features as whacker-tastic P25.
That's why I mentioned in my first reply that he might want to sell them and use the money to buy a couple of new dmr radios but subscribing to a trunking system is probably way overkill and probably won't give the most reliable in-building coverage that the OP most likely needs to conduct their activities.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
Not for itinerants. License fee only, no coordination. Not that coordination for a simplex freq or two for 5 watt portables is all that expensive. Especially in UHF. Its not. And it's not hard to do either. It's a phone call.



That's why I mentioned in my first reply that he might want to sell them and use the money to buy a couple of new dmr radios but subscribing to a trunking system is probably way overkill and probably won't give the most reliable in-building coverage that the OP most likely needs to conduct their activities.
He could still get on a sytem for wide area, and also have itinerant freq for direct programed. Some Shops may offer a Talkaround for there customers, the shop I used to work for did.

If the OP does not need wide area coverage best to stay with what he has got and get a UHF iten freqs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions