• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

david082

So basically I am looking to use an XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie. I work in bail recovery and the cheap two way radios are awful. So as I am not very educated on radios I'm not sure if I can use these two in such a way or if I would be better off selling them.

So my question first off is can a 5000 and 3000 be programed to work with one another in this way?

If so, would I be able to program them myself?

Thank you!

rapidcharger

Sure you can as long as they;

A.) Work,
B.) Can be programmed for the same frequency,
C.) You get licensed for a business band frequency(ies)

Those should be good radios for that line of work and as an added bonus they are cabable of P25 digital with encryption so the bail jumpers won't be able to monitor for when you're coming for them. They also have that look-like-a-cop factor.

As for whether you'd be better off selling them, that's a tough one to answer without seeing what you've got but it is very possible that those radios would fetch enough on the second hand market to where you could then use the proceeds to go buy 2, 3 or even possibly 4 brand new radios with warranty that are also digital and secure-capable radios, albeit not as expensive ones.

Last edited:

If so, would I be able to program them myself?
Short answer is "depends." The software is not readily available and they're different for the 3000 and 5000. If you do end up buying it, it's not intuitive. You need to know the numbers - not just frequencies, but ALL OF THE NUMBERS that go into maybe 14 pages of parameters to build a codeplug. The 5000 is easier, because you make a "personality" for the kind of mode you want, then put the frequencies in on another page - like a matrix. The 3000 is a buster because you have to make a personality for EVERY channel you put in.

If you're going to use only 1 channel, it's no big deal.

For encryption you'll need a thing called a "Key Variable Loader." They're expensive and you don't see them much on the used market. Just going digital does not guarantee privacy, and, the really savvy element will know something's up just by proximity of signal, whether it's scrambled or not.

I echo the part on getting a license. You can't just set up and use them without one. You'll need to select a frequency coordinator for business services and then they will select the best frequency or frequencies for you.

A final thought - make sure your radios are on the same frequency band. If they're not one won't be able to speak with the other. You might as well be talking into a shoe at that point.

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

If you are asking these questions, itnis clear that you have no idea what you have or need. That is not your fault, and I am not bashing, just stating fact. Because you have no real knowledge of communication systems, it is likely you would not be able to accomplish your goal on your own. I strongly suggest you contact a local communications company and shell out the money for them to set something up for you. They would make sure you didnt cause interference, transmit illegally, or screw up settings in said radios, etc. Trust me, let the professionals handle it. Its well worth the money!

david082

Thank you for all of the replies.

Basically, I bought these at an action and I figured if I can't use them for this purpose than I could always sell them.

So from the sounds of it I would be better off taking it to a radio programmer. I tired doing a search but I didn't come up with much. Any suggestion on where I should look for a local radio programmer? Also, what are the thoughts on the ones on ebay where you send them the radio and they program it for you?

Thanks!

Look, you don't have a bad idea there. It's very workable. Just do it right.

Know what frequency you want to be on. Those things need a license, unless you use MURS channels, and you have to program the radios up with acceptable parameters if you use them. If you know that, then the web auction people know how to set things up.

Your local Motorola shop will program them for a basic fee. They may ask you for your license or try to sell you a maintenance agreement to be on retainer in case your radios break.

Caveat emptor on buying things over the Internet. You'll come across EVERYTHING. I've had okay luck there and for the most part got what I thought I was getting. Still, that's not as bad as that free classified website where most of the people you will be going after seem to hang out fencing the stuff they've stolen. Both of my stolen cars were "sold" there, and (unfortunately for the people who bought them and tried to present their fraudulent titles) subsequently recovered by LE.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Stick with FRS/GMRS 22 mile radios. Cant beat the price! Going the programming route is just not worth your wild unless your agency is a professional law enforcement agency.

rapidcharger

Thank you for all of the replies.

Basically, I bought these at an action and I figured if I can't use them for this purpose than I could always sell them.

So from the sounds of it I would be better off taking it to a radio programmer. I tired doing a search but I didn't come up with much. Any suggestion on where I should look for a local radio programmer? Also, what are the thoughts on the ones on ebay where you send them the radio and they program it for you?

Thanks!

You're obviously in a line of work where the radios need to work properly so I suggest going to a local motorola dealer who will program them properly. They won't be the cheapest over sending your radio off to some unknown on ebay, but who in their right mind would send off a multi-hundred-dollar radio to some stranger on ebay to save $20 on programming?! That's just silly.

They will also be able to tune and align and get the radios working to factory specs unlike some unknown on ebay. Lives are sorta on the line here, are they not? Do it right. Don't be cheap.

rapidcharger

Stick with the FRS radios, way cheaper!

Stick with FRS/GMRS 22 mile radios. Cant beat the price! Going the programming route is just not worth your wild unless your agency is a professional law enforcement agency.

If you believe the claims of 22 miles, you might just want to run for mayor of toronto.
FRS radios are toys. The OP has made it clear they are bail recovery agents. One can assume that it is important that the radios work and work well and that everything is done on the straight and narrow with the licensing. And that also includes not using MURS with non-certified equipment such as the XTS radios.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
rapidcharger: Like a real Motorola dealer is gonna program some brick of a radio probably bought from ebay. (without departmental ID)... Wow they must be really easing off the marijuana laws where you stay lol

svfd17

rapidcharger: Like a real Motorola dealer is gonna program some brick of a radio probably bought from ebay. (without departmental ID)... Wow they must be really easing off the marijuana laws where you stay lol

Why would you need a dept Id if it's for your job or has murs programmed (possibly)? I would think just about any dealer would program it with just a letter from the guys boss saying its OK.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

If its a legit bail enforcement agency, any dealer would program the radios, provided they have legit frequencies to program in. In the alternative, the dealer may reach an agreement where the bail agency uses one or more of the dealer's licensed frequencies, either in simplex or repeater mode, for a small fee. What area are you in, sir? We can try to lookup some dealers or communications companies for you

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Other than the cop wannabe look they are overkill. Really stick to a basic radio a pair of HT1000's programmed to MURS would be more than enough

svfd17

Other than the cop wannabe look they are overkill. Really stick to a basic radio a pair of HT1000's programmed to MURS would be more than enough

The point I am trying to make is that the O.P. should be able to get any radio programmed with murs or his company's channels if he wants provided he has permission.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000 HT or HT 1000

Unless I misunderstand the MURS rules, neither of the Motorola radios mentioned above meet the legal requirements. No legitimate dealer is going to put illegal frequencies in any radio. You could just buy a pair of good MURS radios, but I doubt the 2 watts will give you the coverage you want.

phillydjdan

Agreed, let's get off the MURS bandwagon, folks. MURS is not for pubic safety, and using those radios mentioned on MURS frequencies is illegal PERIOD! Besides, would you trust your mission critical communications to a set of frequencies also populated by Walmart associates, elementary school hall monitors, and fast food speaker systems? If you think MURS is a good solution for this guy, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! Say NO to MURS. Thanks for stopping by...

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Okay this is what you do get on Ding Dong Bay and there are some good people on that site that sell good radios and get two XTS 5000 radio on the VHF side with a DES-OFB ENC boards in each radio and get yourself a nice used Key Volume Loader machine and off to the races you go.

Having two VHF radios will give you some good distance because these radios will transmit longer distances because of the higher wattage on the Tx side.

Get those radios with a good DES-OFB algorhytm programmed into the boards and nobody will ever be-able to listen to you at all. You will be gangster bail bond men's style. You can be like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

The criminals will never be-able to listen to you nor ever hear you. But these people are kind of not smart anyways. You might just be-able to get away with digital Tx and get what you need.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000, 5000

Pepsima1 should have mentioned that anything you do with those radios will require a license. Unless you are familiar with programming, don't even think about starting with a radio as complex as the XTS series. The cost of the software from Motorola will be the same as a decent used radio, and the knowledge to make it work is considerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.