New to this world - BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WakeWatcher

ok just got the BCD396XT - seems cool. I've gotten my area loaded in via the FreeScan software and a zip file on here from one of the members.

Here's some questions...
What are some best practices for staying on top of a situation encountered while listening? E.G. - I hear an incident going down and I want to stay with THAT incident...HOLD on that freq/ID doesn't seem to be the best way...or perhaps I am not patient enough.

What do you do?

That is my primary issue...I will hear the start of something and then lose it...and I don't know how to find it again.

thanks for any input!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Are you listening to a trunked system? If so you should hold on the talk group not the frequency. The frequency will change after each transmission. If you hold on the TG it will monitor all traffic on that TG regardless of which frequency is being used. If you hold on a frequency the users will change after each transmission.

Make sure you are scanning in "Scan" mode and not "Search" mode. In "Scan" your scanner will only stop on the TGs you have programmed and unlocked.

In "Search" it will stop on every TG on the system and be difficult, if not impossible to follow.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ok just got the BCD396XT - seems cool. I've gotten my area loaded in via the FreeScan software and a zip file on here from one of the members.

Here's some questions...
What are some best practices for staying on top of a situation encountered while listening? E.G. - I hear an incident going down and I want to stay with THAT incident...HOLD on that freq/ID doesn't seem to be the best way...or perhaps I am not patient enough.

What do you do?

That is my primary issue...I will hear the start of something and then lose it...and I don't know how to find it again.

thanks for any input!

This forum member seems awfully familiar for some reason :cool:
Like we discussed in email last night the easiest way to pull a specific channel/TG is with the System/Channel Number Tag feature.
That is how I pull up a specific Wake County PS TAC or Raleigh PD LE OPS TG quickly. :)
Just remember to read over that "Easier to read 396XT Manual" link I sent ya. You will be a radio ninja in no time flat. :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

WakeWatcher

Um...yeah i might be that guy...

I thought I would post on here...because I didn't want to consume your email box, man!

I am still working through your guidelines that you sent. I like it. Now I have to start getting it right and then I will LOVE it.

Today, I heard the beginning of a seemingly major incident...and then I couldn't find the LE OPS group. Because I couldn't remember HOW. Press hold. enter the number Number Tag DOT Group Quick Key, right? But I forgot to press menu...and then I got lost.

Anyway...more tomorrow...cooll stuff for sure.
thanks!

wtp

delay

if you are not fast enough to hit the hold button
go to the system and change the delay (not the hold) time
it might be set at 0 so try 3 or more
that is the squelch delay so after a squelch trip it waits for that long
the hold function is how long the system is scanned

Status
Not open for further replies.