Just Crawled Out From Under A Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidGuy

Hey folks. I am here to check in and see about learning. I had a scanner for a while now but we just bought a couple baofeng uv-b6's. I am overwhelmed. With that being said, I will do some searching first, then post in the appropriate section when the time comes. I hope everyone is doing well.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Baofengs are not truly scanners and make darn poor scanners if that is how one wants to use them. Check all the articles about the Baofengs and other cheapo chinese transceivers under the Budget Transceiver thread below.

N8IAA

Hey folks. I am here to check in and see about learning. I had a scanner for a while now but we just bought a couple baofeng uv-b6's. I am overwhelmed. With that being said, I will do some searching first, then post in the appropriate section when the time comes. I hope everyone is doing well.

Don't know who suggested the Baofeng to you as a scanner, but they lied. It is an amateur radio (ham radio) HT. It does receive those frequencies, but, and here is the biggest problem, they also transmit on those frequencies:(
If you hold an amateur radio license, no problem. You just can't transmit on the PD/FD frequencies. I am not one of the self appointed RR radio cops. Just someone who doesn't like to see someone get in trouble.
There are options as far as a scanner, the Uniden BC75. It holds 300 frequencies, and goes for under $100. You'll still hear your local PD/FD without fear of accidentally transmitting on the said frequencies:)
HTH,
Larry

StupidGuy

I should be more clear of my intentions with the radios. First, I know nothing about them. I am not licensed to use a ham radio. I bought them to use in case our power goes out for two way communications. We live in the mountains with a low population. our property is considered a homestead. We have a power line and a phone line. We have a VOIP telephone that works on the net (phone line). Cell phones also do not work here. The power goes out more than most places I have ever lived. This was my idea to keep in touch with my wife since she gets off work very late to early morning. We tried the two way radios from wal-mart but they are out of range in no time. So I hope this would be an upgrade.

As far as any other details on the radios. I only have just figured out how to use the FM radio and I am doing good just to learn that so far. If worse comes to worse, my truck needs a FM radio. Now you know why my user name is "Stupid Guy" : ) I am starting this venture with 100% green horns. With that said, I will learn the rules and follow them before I transmit. I hope I can just transmit with them as I could have with the walmart stuff, but with the range to make them functional.
Thanks for any, and all input. I can only gain knowledge at this point.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Don't know who suggested the Baofeng to you as a scanner, but they lied. It is an amateur radio (ham radio) HT. It does receive those frequencies, but, and here is the biggest problem, they also transmit on those frequencies:(
If you hold an amateur radio license, no problem. You just can't transmit on the PD/FD frequencies. I am not one of the self appointed RR radio cops. Just someone who doesn't like to see someone get in trouble.
There are options as far as a scanner, the Uniden BC75. It holds 300 frequencies, and goes for under $100. You'll still hear your local PD/FD without fear of accidentally transmitting on the said frequencies:)
HTH,
Larry

First though, before looking the the BC75, where are you located? We need to know so we can make sure that model will receive the signals in your area. If they use trunking or digital, that model will do you no good.

K3EP

SG - I'm familiar where you are (my wife is from Jonesboro) so I just checked your county on RR. Mountain Home has a trunked system and if you want to listen to ASP (the state system is called AWIN) they are trunked as well (have been for a decade or more). Looking at the Baxter County RR page they appear to be using AWIN as well. I am not familiar with the radio you listed above, but after a quick check I don't believe it does trunking. There appears to be a number of agencies still listed with non-trunked frequencies that you would receive, but you'll have to listen to see if those are active or not. Here's the Baxter County link:
Baxter County, Arkansas (AR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Hope that helps.
de K3EP

N8IAA

I would not recommend the HT's for point to point comms. A 5 watt radio on simplex will do you no better than the cheap Wal-Mart radios. Especially in a mountain environment.
I would suggest you and your wife each get a technician license and using one of the three repeaters in your city for communications. It will allow you to communicate without losing contact, and still be able to use the HT's.
As far as your county, the sheriff's dept. uses a single TGID on the statewide AWIN system. Your city is on an analog trunk system. You could probably get away with an inexpensive analog trunk tracking scanner if you want to monitor the local FD/PD. That scanner will also allow you to hear what ever is still on conventional frequencies that you bought the Baofengs for.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

StupidGuy

Thanks for all the great info. We will get started on obtaining a tech license, and also look into upgrading the base scanner. Might as well, otherwise each unit we have now is like running a marathon with a broken leg.

K3EP

Hey SG - I didn't see your second post before replying the first time. On staying in communication with the wife, I concur with N8IAA ... get your Tech license so you can use the ham repeaters in MH. You'll like using it during tornado season as well. Mountain Home has a ham radio club: OzARC - Ozark Amateur Radio Club - Mountain Home, Arkansas. I recommend connecting with them. Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.