Got a BCD 996xt for a present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAINMAN1016

I've been using my R/S pro 92 for years,and this week recieved a Uniden 996xt as a gift. All I can say is wow.I've been kicking around the forum trying to learn about this beast. I've got to order a cable to set up programming,I have already down loaded the freescan software.Also include in the gift was preprogrammed freqs. for the Atlanta area so i've got channels already in it.I can see this is going to be alot more challenging the the radio shack md. looking foreward to getting started..

N8IAA

Outstanding radio. Advise getting FreeScan at: www.sixspotsoftware.com

You can still use the cable that came with the scanner if you have the DB-9 connection on your pc. Update all firmware and DSP for the radio.
If you have problems with the software, PM me with what you want to monitor, and I'll set you up with a file so you can see how the radio works.
Larry

TRAINMAN1016

Thanks larry,I do not have a DB-9 ,so I'm ordering a usb to db-9.also just printed the easy program pages listed.I just moved from Tampa to the stone mountai area of Ga.

N8IAA

Thanks larry,I do not have a DB-9 ,so I'm ordering a usb to db-9.also just printed the easy program pages listed.I just moved from Tampa to the stone mountai area of Ga.

DeKalb is a very busy system and easy to manage with a 996XT. Come on down to the GA state forum and introduce yourself. Lots of help there. Make sure you change location in the header.
Still happy to set you up with a starter file for the metro area.
PM me with your e-mail.

Larry

TRAINMAN1016

scanner master preprogrammed dekalb,fulton and Atlanta, and i pick up nothing on the Dekalb channels..I dont think they did it correct..I'll check out the Ga.forum. Thanks

N8IAA

scanner master preprogrammed dekalb,fulton and Atlanta, and i pick up nothing on the Dekalb channels..I dont think they did it correct..I'll check out the Ga.forum. Thanks
It doesn't surprise me one bit. When you don't live in the area, you just can't come up with the correct programming.
Larry

bob550

Premium Subscriber

I originally used the supplied data cable connected to a USB/Serial adapter for my 996xt. Not liking the front connection, I bought a null-modem serial cable and connected to the "GPS" port on the rear. This method works fine, and allows me to keep the cable connected permanently. You just have to make the necessary changes to the scanner setup to use the rear port. You're sure right about the difference in scanners, though! Computer integration with these beasts is virtually mandatory now, but has made life much easier than the old days. Good luck with your new 996!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I originally used the supplied data cable connected to a USB/Serial adapter for my 996xt. Not liking the front connection, I bought a null-modem serial cable and connected to the "GPS" port on the rear. This method works fine, and allows me to keep the cable connected permanently. You just have to make the necessary changes to the scanner setup to use the rear port. You're sure right about the difference in scanners, though! Computer integration with these beasts is virtually mandatory now, but has made life much easier than the old days. Good luck with your new 996!

Just be aware that any firmware updates that you might apply to the scanner will not work from the rear port.... only the front port will accept firmware updates.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Just be aware that any firmware updates that you might apply to the scanner will not work from the rear port.... only the front port will accept firmware updates.

Thanks, I had read that in another thread. It's a trade off I can accept, however. I much prefer keeping the cable permanently connected as I'm routinely tweaking the settings and re-arranging frequencies and such. With the stock cable connected, the front connection is just too close to the function/scroll dial for comfort. I figure that firmware updates to the 996xt are probably done anyway.

TRAINMAN1016

Well i got my cable the other day. And i've been able to download ,upload and even put in a small program, i'm using the freescan software .Now it's learning the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.