RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 5:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Thanks for the Wiki link and your reply. What I don't think I did was Yes after selecting the speed on the scanner. I just push the rotary knob in and thought that would select it. I will try that now."

That wasn't the issue but I did figure it out. I changed the computer to set the physical commport as comm 3 and told Proscan the same. Uploaded KevinC's file and am scanning.

"I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT."

Can someone confirm this? If so, what handheld do I need? I am planning to do some freelance news video and need to hear everything.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2014, 5:38 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Uniden's new BCD436HP, BCD536HP and (if you can find one) GRE's PSR-800 (with upgraded firmware) are all capable of Phase 2 decoding. Nothing else is at the moment...we have extensive threads on the 2 Unidens in that forum....Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 5:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopations View Post
I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infohou View Post
"Thanks for the Wiki link and your reply. What I don't think I did was Yes after selecting the speed on the scanner. I just push the rotary knob in and thought that would select it. I will try that now."

That wasn't the issue but I did figure it out. I changed the computer to set the physical commport as comm 3 and told Proscan the same. Uploaded KevinC's file and am scanning.

"I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT."

Can someone confirm this? If so, what handheld do I need? I am planning to do some freelance news video and need to hear everything.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
All of HPD/HFD main dispatch TG's are also broadcast in FDMA (at this time, this could change in the future).

But be advised the 396XT doesn't work well on simulcast. The x36-series for me work much better on simulcast, others seem to disagree with that though.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"But be advised the 396XT doesn't work well on simulcast. The x36-series for me work much better on simulcast, others seem to disagree with that though."

Good to know. So ScannerMaster supports the site. Best place to buy the 436?

Thanks Again,
Robert
PS: Apologies for not researching this before I bought the 396.
Old 04-23-2014, 9:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"So ScannerMaster supports the site. Best place to buy the 436?"

Eh?
Sponsored links

Old 04-26-2014, 9:40 PM

Yes
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default General Services Government Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopations View Post
I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT.
With Houston PD & FD, you will need to load your radio with the appropriate site & associated talk groups. The General Services Government layer was created for those who don't own a Phase II scanner. Please, review this wiki:

Houston Police and Fire P25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by Ensnared; 04-27-2014 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: correction