RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 7:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Default Premium Subscription required for everything

Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 8:17 PM
SpectreOZ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mildura, Australia
Posts: 156
Default

Perhaps to share ideas? experiences? and just generally "shoot the breeze" with like minded enthusiasts from all over the world (that's what I do)
__________________
"No matter where you go, there you are..."

Last edited by SpectreOZ; 01-29-2014 at 8:21 PM.. Reason: Zero tolerance policy.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 8:33 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Default

That's what FB is for. I just came here to get some frequencies. I couldn't download them (premium required) and I couldn't get the printable list (Premium required) so I copied and pasted the table in a csv.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 9:10 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?

Premium subscription is certainly not required for "everything". You are not a premium subscriber, and you are posting on the forums aren't you?...

.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 9:15 PM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jefferson County, Ohio
Posts: 4,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
Premium subscription gives you access to the database via remote applications, such as programming applications that allow you to program your scanner without having to type in every frequency.

Everything on the site is free -- Forum access -- Database information. The only thing you pay for with a Premium subscription is the convenience of being able to use your favorite scanner programming application to program your scanner by downloading the content [from RR, via the web].

You could use all RadioReference information freely... no subscription... and simply program your scanner by hand.

Mike
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2014, 9:31 PM
n5ims's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,799
Default

Don't forget that a premium subscription is also required for access to the classified section. Now this isn't for the income, but to provide a better way to prevent fraud/scams since to register you must give the site some personal information about yourself (name, address, etc.) so when there's fraud they can provide that information to the PD when a subpoena is issued to the Lindsay for that information to aid in the prosecution of and recovery from the scammer.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 5:54 AM
dmg1969's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Newport, PA
Posts: 628
Default

You typed a message in a forum in which we can all ask and answer questions, share ideas, give and take advice, share photos of our setups and installs....all with no Premium membership required. And I AM not a Premium member. Geez.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
__________________
Dave

My Scanners: Uniden HP-1, Uniden Bearcat BC125AT and Uniden Bearcat BC355N
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 7:21 AM
NWI_Scanner_Guy's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana (Hammond)
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
Mr. Blanton (the website owner) and company do a terrific job here with Radio Reference, and as much as I am on the site, utilizing its resources, I want to give something back. A premium subscription, I'm sure, helps defray the costs of running a site such as this. That's "the point," at least for me.

As others have mentioned, there are a plethora of things you can do here on RR without a premium subscription. Take advantages of those resources. Learn. Grow. Contribute. Have fun. Radio Reference is what you make it.

__________________
Ham: FT7900R / TH9000 / KG-UVD1P / UV5R / UV5RCX / UV3R
Base/Mobiles: BCD536HP / HP1(E) / BCD996XT / BCT15X(x2) / BC355C
Handhelds: BCD436HP / BCD396XT / BC346XT / PSR800 / PSR500 / PSR310 / PRO107
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 7:24 AM
dimab's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
just don't log back on. just like it never happened.
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 8:05 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NE Kansas
Posts: 23
Default

I think we all as users, new or old, in any type of radio scanning, monitoring, enjoyment of listening to other parts of the world, having a ham license, etc., become new to new user boards and need to learn how it is set up.

If there is a subscription, we need to look and read as to what one gets for that subscription. Sometimes we see it and but we don't read it completely. Even to the point if we are looking for on specific thing, we can be focus on that specific thing and not realize some of the other things available.

Thee are some user boards that one has to pay to even access it. However generally, one can get most of the info from the free boards.

IMO: If you use the board a lot and have a need to access the frequency's to program a scanner, etc.,
and use the free software to assist in the programming with out having to add possible several hundred by hand, it would be worth it to save the frustration alone, let alone to start one drinking ..

I understand where you are coming from, but as others have said everything else is free and accessible. I sounds like you were able to to still get the info you were looking for, but maybe not in the way you wanted " so I copied and pasted the table in a csv. ".

In the short time I have been here and from reading the various forums, I also believe that the small amount to get the Premium Subscription, is a small token to the forum owner to help defray the costs of the server and posting and up keep .

With all that said, welcome to RadioReference, take your time, look through the various forums, threads and posts. You will be amazed at the different kinds of info available.
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 8:26 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
Default

I basically became a "Premium Subscriber" just to show support for the site. Really don't post much but I sure learn a lot!
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 8:48 AM
Dafe1er's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Posts: 534
Default

Just cough up the $30 bucks. It gives you a year. You will be helping yourself, the site and others who use this site everyday.

I do not use the software and RR to do my scanner list, I do it the old fashion way with my fingers. I just subscribed because I want to help keep this site going. It is THE ONLY site that has everything you are looking for related to scanners, radios, antennas and the biggest part FREQUENCIES all in ONE place!

Besides after what some of us pay for our "toy's", we get information on here for pennies!
__________________
I am just a Novice, compared to some here. I am willing to learn and once know what has been taught to me, will help others know this awesome hobby of ours.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Keene NY
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
That's what FB is for. I just came here to get some frequencies. I couldn't download them (premium required) and I couldn't get the printable list (Premium required) so I copied and pasted the table in a csv.
I have been a premium member on and off for several years as I could afford it. Site has been helpful to you in acquiring frequencies which you have made a csv and been able to use.
That's the benefits of not being a premium member you still have access to the way of creating a csv with FREQUENCIES from this site... If you want software for programming your scanner you should get premium then its all simple programming. for instance you select country / state / county you want. and the software will organize it automatically for you and program your scanner with ease... I was 1 time a noob on here but people have helped me and occasionally I help back with some info.
I believe you accomplished your task of getting frequencies here which is why you came. So please don't bash a helpful site that so many of us have helped to build and update information to because without our submissions to the database you would have to manually search the fcc database for what you want and believe me I have been down that road. This site is well worth it. Thank you radioreference for being here to help me program and learn about antennas and scanners. You all have made my experience here a fun and lasting impression on what I consider to be the best forum site I have ever joined... now having the home patrol the database is included with the software but I still enjoy the ability to come on here and read posts and occasionally submit new items to the db... Also I am now starting to learn and mess around with sdr and unitrunker and this site is really helpful in that aspect as well. Thanks again RR.

BTW I have never seen facebook offer scanner frequencies. Maybe a few groups but it sure don't cover all the frequencies 1 would have in mind.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 274
Default

Well worth the 30 for all the help and ease of downloads.
__________________
Gary

BCD996T
HP-1
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 4:14 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 866
Thumbs down So, what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
Wish I would have known because I would not have registered at all....

What's the point?
You didn't subscribe (fee), you registered (no fee) and yet you're able to post on here.

You came for free frequencies and you got them (no charge).

So I say again to you....What's the point?

Thanks for stopping by!


Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 4:23 PM
Blackink's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
I just came here to get some frequencies. I couldn't download them (premium required) and I couldn't get the printable list (Premium required) so I copied and pasted the table in a csv.
So you got what you came here for....why are ya cryin"?
__________________
Steve in Vermont
I own a BCT15X.......and I Love it
FreeScan User
ST-2 Antenna by Antennacraft
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2014, 8:41 PM
cacherjoe's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Glasgow, NS
Posts: 117
Default

Same here. I became a premium member to support the site. I have an HP-1 so I don't need a premium membership to update the database on the scanner. It costs money to provide all the great things the site has to offer. Imagine if we all coughed up $30, what great things we could get?
__________________
Joe

FT-8900 | VX-170 | Home Patrol 1
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2014, 8:19 AM
SpectreOZ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mildura, Australia
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywinefarm View Post
That's what FB is for. I just came here to get some frequencies. I couldn't download them (premium required) and I couldn't get the printable list (Premium required) so I copied and pasted the table in a csv.

The only problem with the "I want, I came to get, Now give me..." mentality is if everyone subscribed to that one-way information stream there would be nobody to supply the demand, see where I'm coming from?
__________________
"No matter where you go, there you are..."
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
bob550's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 43
Default

I joined the forum in 2005 to improve my knowledge level and discover tips on the hobby to enhance my enjoyment. I did not find the need to become a premium member until last November when I bought a Uniden 996xt. Having the ability to load hundreds of frequencies with minimal mouse clicks (through FreeScan): priceless! When I think of all this website has to offer for $30 per year, I know it's a bargain! When I first became interested in this hobby there were no forums, because there was no Internet. There was only Monitoring Times (now gone) each month for scanner-related articles, and yearly issues of Police Call (long gone) for frequencies. I know it sounds like I'm selling memberships, but I'm not. I support this site because I don't want to see it disappear. It is unique, and valuable.
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Va
Posts: 11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacherjoe View Post
Same here. I became a premium member to support the site. I have an HP-1 so I don't need a premium membership to update the database on the scanner. It costs money to provide all the great things the site has to offer. Imagine if we all coughed up $30, what great things we could get?
Same here and I just joined! looking forward to a ton of info. I had no idea till a friend introduced me to this site.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions