New Ham Radio Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingras

Hi, I'm a sophomore in high school. I have a TYT-9000 I got for Christmas this year. I have no set it up yet because I have not yet gotten a power supply. I also do not have my license yet but will be getting it shortly! I need some antenna ideas, mother does not want a big antenna on to roof haha. I'm think to put something in the attic or something that I cant put in my room or out my window or something. Any ideas?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
A magnetic mount 2 meter mobile antenna mounted to a large metal object like a file cabinet or refrigerator would do the trick. Even a large baking sheet could serve as a ground plain. There are lots of un-obtrusive vertical antennas that could be mounted on the exterior of your home.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
For two meters a 'ground plane' should be a quarter wave in all directions. A mag mount on a cookie sheet will work fine. Remember to keep the power down when using a indoor antenna for transmitting-see the Part 97 rules on RF exposure-BTW this includes the operator. For the most part working repeaters and local 5 watts is fine. If you want more distance get the antenna up high (it can be the same whip and cookie sheet). Range is mostly antenna height above average ground level (or HAAT if you are technical). If you can't work a station with 25 watts more power rarely makes a difference- but 20 feet higher on the antenna will dramatically increase range. The antenna of the other station (or repeater) likewise impacts communication range -that's why repeaters tend to be located 'up high'. Welcome aboard and remember to continue to read and learn-like driving the license is a first step-not the last. 73

teufler

I have made maybe 20 tape measure beams for my ham friends and sold some at hamfests. Its a beam antenna, that is directional, has about 7.5dbd gain and works very good inside . I use mine for 2 meters and for the scanner. For 2 meters, if you operate low power, the beam gives you effective radiated power, or every 3db gain doubles your power. 5 watts output, with the beam, is like sending a 20+ watt signal out.
you can dso a quick search with Google, "tape measure beam" and get the plans for consturction. Costs about $7.00 for construction.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Get the antenna outside the house. If your home is a single story. Get the antenna above the eave of the house. A ten foot section of mast stuck in the ground outside the window with the antenna attached. As suggested, maybe a metal pizza pan mounted on top of a wooden post with a mag mount on it. Radio shack used to sell a cheap discone antenna for about 26 bucks. I use one of those for a while. How far is it to the nearest repeater. is there a lot of repeaters in your area. The higher the antenna, the better chance you have of getting into the repeater.. Lots of questions.
Work on that license and try to get mom interested!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.