pro 96 or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

mypro96

Its been a while since I have had a scanner and now the pro 96 is discontinued. Could someone please tell me if I am trying to buy a soon to be dinosaur. I live in KY, ksp post 3, Bowling Green is Motorolla and is so much traffic; the pro 96 always followed conversations very well. I know about win96 and I love it. Why is/are the bearcat(s) better than the pro 96? I know I will get links for responses but I would also like to hear someone's opinion who has experience with more than just RS, regarding apco 25. What about in a couple of years?

Thanks,
-michelle

N8IAA

Its been a while since I have had a scanner and now the pro 96 is discontinued. Could someone please tell me if I am trying to buy a soon to be dinosaur. I live in KY, ksp post 3, Bowling Green is Motorolla and is so much traffic; the pro 96 always followed conversations very well. I know about win96 and I love it. Why is/are the bearcat(s) better than the pro 96? I know I will get links for responses but I would also like to hear someone's opinion who has experience with more than just RS, regarding apco 25. What about in a couple of years?

Thanks,
-michelle

The 96 hasn't been manufactured for quite a while. I've had the upgrade (Pro-106) for almost six years. If you can find a used Pro-106 for sale here on RR, I would suggest you buy one. Then you can get Win500 and import your Win96 file into the software.

The differences between the 106/197 and the Uniden model 396/996XT is basically amount of memory and how it's applied to the scanner.

The new x36HP scanners use the form of the x96XT scanners combined with the memory, and Extreme upgrade functions of the Home Patrol 1. It also includes the ability to decode P-25 Phase II transmissions.

Whistler is coming out with rebadged versions of the 106/197, and the PSR-800. The 800 was the first scanner marketed to decode Phase II trunked systems.

As far as Phase II in Kentucky, that should be asked in the KY state forum.

The 106/197 and 396/996 with still allow you to monitor the KY State Police, but allowing you to designate a NAC, which is similar to CTCSS/DCS.

Hope I answered some of your questions.
Larry

mypro96

Larry,

After reading about the differences, I decided to go with the familiar and I got a pretty good price. I am waiting on a pro 96 to arrive. I have used win 96 years ago with my pro 2096 and pro 96 , loved the software so I will be up and running upon arrival. Thanks for the input, I like the idea of object scanning and frequency logging, something to think about next time.

Thanks,
-michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.