PRO 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD8040

I purchased the Radio Shack cd, then went to radio reference, purchased the software for automatic uploading of frequencies, but somehow put in the wrong scanner i.d. after the first two free ones. Now I need to change the scanner id, however it will not allow me. I have tried to delete and re-install the software but it still will not work. HELP PLEASE.

DPD8040

Went back to Radio Shack today, they told me I need the PIN number to change the account. I don't remember a PIN number from radio reference, or serial number, or activation number???

captclint

Mentor
I purchased the Radio Shack cd, then went to radio reference, purchased the software for automatic uploading of frequencies, but somehow put in the wrong scanner i.d. after the first two free ones. Now I need to change the scanner id, however it will not allow me. I have tried to delete and re-install the software but it still will not work. HELP PLEASE.
Multiple posts on same subject will not get you a faster answer. Just to be sure, what software are you using?

Last edited:

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
Went back to Radio Shack today, they told me I need the PIN number to change the account. I don't remember a PIN number from radio reference, or serial number, or activation number???

ok here is how I got mine going and just got it 2 days ago also.. and was very impatient to get going as well but decided to a lot of reading before I got it and after so I could get somewhat of a handle on how to do it.
you are all ready a subscribed member here so the rest is easy. download win96 software it has a 30 day trial so you can get scanner set up free. you will have to insert the cd you got from radio shack and install the drivers. they are going to be in the data1.cab file and look for cdm20600.exe and double click it to install the drivers for the cable.

when done , open win96 go to file at top left and select web import, radioreference.com, trunked systems and click.. (assuming what you want is trunked, if not select conventional.
then another window will open at top put in your username and password that you use to log in here. the click start then you will be able to select country, state, county and type of system one at a time as you select them.
once selected , all the talkgroups and control channels will download.
you will have to go through and select the talkgroups you want to here for a couple reasons. first is you probably don't want to hear street and sewer maint and all the other crap that will come across trunked setups. and second the pro 96 will only hold 150 groups per bank.. make sure to check the sites check mark at the very top in the talkgroup window because I think if not it will not download the control channels.
once all is selected and the talkgroups you want are check marks go to import this system
then go to top of window and select done, then next window select target bank and make it 0 and name it the city you are wanting. leave everything else as is. and select done. the window will close and back to the win96 screen. select the channels tab on this screen and move the little up/down arrows where it says bank and when you get to 0 make sure it is showing your control channel and then I select closed check mark. then go to top and under scanner select write to scanner..
that's it all done.

if you have more than one city or county you want to write to the scanner then before you write to scanner you need to repeat the whole process over for all the citys and counties you actually want to download from radioreference.com before you actually write to scanner. and also after the download make sure you change the bank for each system download or it will overwrite the bank if you don't change the target bank.

good luck

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok if our having problems connecting to the scanner, make sure you have the drivers installed correct. double click the data1.cab file and then drag the cdm20600.exe to the desktop or something and then double click it to install. leave the cable unplugged during this process. when done plug in the cable ONLY do not plug it in to the scanner yet. when it completes again then plug it in to the scanner and scanner should show cloning mode, if so try to read from scanner if it does your good to go, if not go to top of win96 soft ware and click the configuration tab and select different serial ports until you find the one that will let you read from scanner.

the drivers might have already installed if you tried to install another program from the setup program from the cd from radio shack but then again they may not have so it wont hurt to try again. but follow the steps without the cable as I explained.

seems like a lot of crap to do but once you get it it is fast. I can redo a whole city and county in less than 4 minutes. actually a piece of cake just keep reading. also another good tip is when you get scanner set up perfect, the way you want it. then do a read from scanner and save that file and you can always write the master good file back to scanner if you are messing around and get a bunch of crap in there you don't want. you really cant hurt the scanner by doing this.
also one other thing by dealing with and doing this through radio reference, they will usually have a flag set in there download and auto reband your scanner if the system you are downloading has been rebanded so another thing you don't have to mess with by being a paid member.
just awesome!!!

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
I am just a noob here also, only reason I am replying is because I just got and have the exact same pro96 as you and felt I might be able to help you out because I was able to get mine working very easy. it is really a good unit. I also read since this is a bit older it isn't crippled by rs or gre removing certain bands because of police and government request.. I could be wrong on this but think I read it somewhere. a lot of the new ones are being crippled by government request.
enjoy it when you get it going.

another trick is to select all of the police and fire frequencies and then lock them out manually on scanner one at a time as you hear them and decide you don't want that talkgroup. because otherwise you might miss some things by removing them from the list before you write to scanner. very easy just to do a quick lock out while scanner is on that talkgroup chattering.

DPD8040

I think if I had the two radio reference numbers, I could get this thing to work again. I'm going to contact the admin of this site and see.

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber

captclint

Mentor
Radio Shack software, Buell if think it's called
While win96 might also be the right answer, Butel software is fairly good. I like it well enough to pay instead of the free software for Unidens. There is a software forum where Butel often provides help. Suggest you post you problem here Scanner Programming Software - The RadioReference.com Forums
, with a link to this thread. Include Butel Pro96 problem in your subject

Last edited:

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
sure it is, I was just trying to help him get up and going quickly since I just did exact same scanner for myself. as I said before I am just noob also but my set up went a lot smoother and faster than what hes trying to do. just a lot of reading and trial and error..

if I may ask you one last question for myself would be great.
I download all of my areas via the web portal on win96 through here and they where all rebanded except my local city which is not totally rebanded yet (so it says) buttttt here is the question. would it hurt or will I miss chatter if I go ahead and set it to rebanded before I write it to scanner so I don't have to do it later after they get it done? I was thinking of setting tp 800 reband and not sure what to set the 9600 at? (normal?) or just leave it all alone for now?

captclint

Mentor
would it hurt or will I miss chatter if I go ahead and set it to rebanded before I write it to scanner so I don't have to do it later after they get it done? I was thinking of setting tp 800 reband and not sure what to set the 9600 at? (normal?) or just leave it all alone for now?
I'm not an expert in rebanding, but I am reasonably sure you will miss everything if you reband before they do. Perhaps you mean, reband in software, but don't send to scanner. That's OK, but you may accidentally download it in the future, and you won't hear anything. Just wait until they actually make the transition

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
If you have an open bank, load both original and re banded frequencies in separate banks, I did it with Upper Shore system in Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.