Talk Groups on trunked systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtech

Hi, All:
I have been listening again after taking about a 20 yr break and have enjoyed my new HP-1. Used to be an RCMA member back in the day... that kinda dates me!
My newbie question is how, or who comes up with the descriptions of the various talk groups on a trunked radio system? Specifically, how do we know these are accurate/correct in RR or are they verified somehow? I listen to the TX WARN Project 25 system in Houston, TX and sometimes I see like "Strike Force" or something on a talkgroup in the listings and just wondered are these coming from FCC listings or does someone in the agency provide these (doubtful), or other means? Sometimes the TG listings are very extensive and specific and I know info is only as accurate as the submitter :)

n4yek

The info is listed in the database comes from a variety of sources:
1) by people that monitor the system and figure out what talkgroups are being used by what agency
2) by people that know others that works on the system and give them the talkgroups and who they belong too
3) by the people that work on the system that know what ID belongs to what agency.

Usually when you have an extensive listing of talkgroups on big systems, a technician that works on that system has supplied the information to the Radio Reference database directly or through someone else.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...are these coming from FCC listings or does someone in the agency provide these (doubtful), or other means?

The FCC doesn't regulate or track system talk groups.

Talk groups can frequently be identified by listening long enough, and frequently the talk group lists are leaked out by "official" sources. Sometimes the published talk group names in the database reflect the actual usage, but not necessarily the official name.

Status
Not open for further replies.