Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntingdeer24

Radio shack pro 93
I'm about to buy that one and I'm looking for the freaq. And it does not show them just dec and hex on this site. Is their something I'm missing? I'm looking for gardendale al. Jefferson county

RDGDigital

I'm not sure if the Pro 93 will work for your needs. According to the RR Wiki for the Pro-93 this scanner does not support rebanding. And according to the RR database the Gardendale, AL police and fire are trunk groups on Jefferson County Public Services system which has some systems that have already undergone rebanding.

I believe that you will need a scanner that supports digital trunking with rebanding. I'm not really an expert so you may want to wait for others to provide better information and for what scanners may work in your area.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The Pro-93 will not suit your needs. You will not be able to hear local public safety with the Pro-93 scanner.

According to the database, Gardendale is on the Jefferson County Public Services Trunking System and are operating with digital voice (indicated by the 'D' in the mode column). This means that you will need a digital trunking scanner which can be a little pricey. I have attached a list of current digital scanners on the market, but I highly suggest you also take time and research the scanners yourself before making a purchase.

Current Models:
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Special Case Current Models:
These following models are discontinued, but may still be found in local RadioShack stores or online. Models will eventually be resold under a different name in the future.
GRE PSR-800 [Future Whistler WS1080] (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-106 [Future RadioShack Pro-651 & Whistler WS1040] (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-197 [Future RadioShack Pro-652 & Whistler WS1065] (Base/Mobile)

Discontinued:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

Older Discontinued & Lacking 700 MHz:
RadioShack Pro-96 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-2096 (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BC296D (Handheld)
Uniden BC796D (Base/Mobile)

I would highly suggest you ask around on the Alabama Radio Discussion Forum to get more information locally about what would be best suited for your needs. They certainly would know the area better than I can from what's in the database.

Huntingdeer24

Ok I just got the list of freaq.i understand it's digital but I just got the freaq. Used present like 855.6875.i have a list.will they work with the 93? I don't understand the hex and dec thing.

n5ims

Ok I just got the list of freaq.i understand it's digital but I just got the freaq. Used present like 855.6875.i have a list.will they work with the 93? I don't understand the hex and dec thing.

Dec & hex are just two ways of saying the same thing (think English & Spanish). Dec is decimal (base 10) which is what we learn as children (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ...). Hex is more computer like way of counting (base 16) which they teach in computer classes (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10,...). Say that the talkgroup is number 15 decimal, it will be talkgroup F in hex. Nearly all scanners use Decimal, while most commercial radios use hex. Just pick the one designed for your radio.

Now that that is out of the way, there's a question you're not asking, but is pretty important here. I know that since you're saying you understand the frequency, but not the dec/hex thing. This indicates that the system in question is a trunking system (http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking). It used to be that radio channels were designed to use only a single frequency (e.g. dispatch was on 123.456 MHz while SWAT was on 123.678 MHz). If they needed a new channel, they had to find an available frequency (something that's often no available anymore), license that frequency, buy new base station equipment, find space on their tower for a new antenna, run new coax, etc., etc., etc. This could take months, if not years to accomplish.

They now have computerized radios and systems that take a bank of frequencies and share them with all of the channels an agency may have (perhaps 100s of channels using only a dozen or so pairs of frequencies). When they need to add a new channel, they simply program the new talkgroup into the system, program it into the necessary radios, and off they go. This may take just a few hours. The frequencies won't change, but the talkgroups (that dec/hex thing) will act like channels in the radio. When a radio on talkgroup 9 starts to transmit, it sends a command to the system which assigns talkgroup 9 to a repeater frequency, tells all radios that use talkgroup to switch to that frequency and they talk away. When they're done talking, the system releases that frequency from that talkgroup number and another one is free to use it.

n5ims

Forget about using the Pro-93, it won't work for what you want to listen to. Jefferson County Public Services Trunking System, Birmingham, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies has your PD and if you look at the "Mode" column, you'll see that it's a "D" for Digital. This is the first thing that rules out the Pro-93, since it's analog only. You'll need a newer digital scanner as others have said. The other thing about the Pro-93 is it doesn't support rebanded systems (don't worry about what that is, just know that the JeffCo system was rebanded so that's a second strike against the Pro-93).

Basically, you'll need at a minimum a Radio Shack model Pro-106 or Pro-197, A GRE PSR-500 or PSR-600 (I'll get to the 800 later), or a Uniden BCD396XT, BCD996XT, or HomePatrol1 (HP1). When they're released, Whistler will also have some compatible models as well Radio Shack that will have their one versions of the Whistler models.

One thing to think about though is that the JeffCo system is fairly old technology and support for it may end in the next few years. Most likely, they'll upgrade to the newer P-25 trunking system that has Phase I and Phase II varieties. The above mentioned digital scanners will work fine on Phase I systems, but if they go with Phase II (as many newer systems do due to increased capacity using the existing channels), you may be stuck with needing a new scanner again. Fortunately if you upgrade to a new scanner that handles Phase II systems, you should future-proof your purchase. The systems that support Phase II (in additional to all the earlier system types) are the GRE PSR-800 (you'll need a firmware upgrade if not already applied), the Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP. As above, Whistler should release their scanners that handle Phase II along with the Radio Shack versions of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.