Newbie Dumb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks, I have some questions regarding programming Trunking Systems on my BCT15X and these forums have so many threads that I dont even know where to ask the question! LOL.

Here is where I am stuck. I have the scanner up and running great for conventional freq, and I downloaded FreeSCAN and I have used RadioReference to copy the groups and that part is working fine. I also have read the "Easier to Read BCT15X Scanner Manual" (a great help). But when I create a trunking group, nothing happens. I live in Citrus Heights CA, (95610) I am in the SRRCS (Sacramento CA) which is listed as Mot Type ll SmartZone. When I upload the group, I get errors regarding the band plan. I thought I adjusted them ok but even though the site shows its scanning I get no reception. I am sure that it is just a setting but I cant quite figure out what that setting is.

I got the scanner a week ago and waited to ask any questions so I could at least understand the answer to them! I am back scanning after 35 years or so. When I was a teenager in the 70s my Dad was a CHP dispatcher. He bought me a Bearcat 210 so I could listen to him when he was at work (graveyard). A few weeks ago I bought another 210 of eBay and it worked fine and it got the scanning fire lit in me again so I got the new BCT15X. I was prepared for the learning curve from all of the reviews I have read........I think I am pretty close but just need that slap on the side of the head to figure the trunking out.

Thanks to anyone who can direct me to the thread I need to be in!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Try scanning the system in "search" mode first. You should be able to receive all the groups in the system, even before programming any.

If you post your FreeScan file here we can look it over for any problems.

Last edited:

lep

His "life story" as you call it, tells us, in the 3rd sentence, he has read the Easy to Read Manual and in the same paragraph that his Dad was a CHP dispatcher when he was a kid. All of interest IMHOP.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
Try scanning the system in "search" mode first. You should be able to receive all the groups in the system, even before programming any.

Thanks, I will try and do that later on today.......and thanks everybody for the help in advance.

localknitwits

Pony up for a RR subscription and you can directly load systems from RR.

Bodyblue,

The RR subscription is the way to go. It's simple and quick to download exactly what you want and everything works. Then if you want you can reverse learn by playing around and viewing the working template. I use the arc software with my unit and have had absolutely no problems. It's my understanding that freescan is a good program and works very well.

As for your current problem, a first quick check, as per the easier manual, hold and go through the frequencies. Make sure at least one of them sounds like a boat motor running. This is the control frequency for a trunking. See below

From the Easier Manual
"The control channel is continually transmitted to the field units and has a sound similar to listening to a boat engine over the phone (in manual mode; you won't hear this when you are trunking the system.) This control channel is also a good check to see if you can trunktrack the system. If you can't hear a control channel when you stepthrough the trunking frequencies (in manual mode), you either don't have all the frequencies or are too far away to receive the control channel and the system."

In any case the BCT15X is a great model. Congrats on your purchase. I like it when I lift mine up. It feels like they actually put something in it.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
OK, I took most everyone's advice and signed up for the RR subscription....now I will see how to upload some systems so I can get the most out of my unit. Thank you for your advice everybody. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber

If the trunked system I want to listen too has been re-banded, do I need to change they "system type" button from Mot 800mhz Standard type ll to "Mot custom/reband type ll"? and if I DO need to do that then do I import the "Band Plan" from the table of frequencies? This is where I think I am not setting things right. I have figured out how to create and import the sites and groups and frequencies but I need help on what settings I need to use for a Mot type 2 rebanded trunking system. Thanks again in advance.

localknitwits

My Arc softward sets the site band plan to CUSTOM when downloading for a rebanded trunking system. Not sure about your freescan. You can also check this on your unit by:

Pressing Menu
Select Program System
Select Your Trunking System
Select Edit Site
Select Your Site
Scroll Down To Edit Band Plan
Select Custom.

The default custom band plans installed on my BCT15X works for me.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
My Arc softward sets the site band plan to CUSTOM when downloading for a rebanded trunking system. Not sure about your freescan. You can also check this on your unit by:

Pressing Menu
Select Program System
Select Your Trunking System
Select Edit Site
Select Your Site
Scroll Down To Edit Band Plan
Select Custom.

The default custom band plans installed on my BCT15X works for me.

LK,
I did just what you said and my unit shows 6 Band Plans.....I know I am getting close but still am frustrated,......thank you so much for helping me. A step by step process like you did for me above was very helpful! I think tomorrow I will download Arc and see how it works. I will check back in tomorrow.

localknitwits

Page 25 of 63 (pdf numbers) of the easier manual goes in to custom rebanded sytems . Not sure who wrote that manual but it has a lot of great info in it. Good luck.

Bodyblue

Premium Subscriber
Yes the Sac county system type needs to be set to Custom/Reband. The download should have put the numbers into the reband table.
Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki
This link has the reband table you need.

Did any of you guys (or gals) every have that moment when the clouds parted, the sun shown down (Think Blues Brothers Movie when Jake is in the church) and YOU FINALLY GOT WHAT PEOPLE WERE TALKING ABOUT????? I finally figured out that I was supposed to use the "import" button from the file menu to get the pre-programmed sites from RR! DUH, good lord I feel smart, and really dumb all at the same time! Thank you all (well mostly) for being so patient and nice to a dumb newbie.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.