New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitzinok

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I just picked up a Uniden BCD996XT. Programed my area with Freescan from Radio Reference with a subrcription. Oklahoma, Jackson county. I am only able to recieve analog, Police,Electric,Animal Control.
Getting none of the AF base analog or digital. I've been reading the sites,WIKI etc. for days. I dont know if my setup is wrong or I need an external antenna?
Any help would be appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On the Air Force Base, will it stop on the control channel and you see some type of signal strength? If so, then you are in range. Try changing from ID Scan to ID Search which listens for all talkgroups and not just those programmed. (ID Search may be good any way as I'm sure they have more talkgroups than listed in the database, such as those for engineering, public works, etc.)

If you don't receive the control channel, then an outside antenna may be needed.

smitzinok

Premium Subscriber
Tried ID search still no joy. getting intermittent 4 bars on signal strength.
did pick up ATIS for a few min then nothing. Will try new antenna tomorrow.
Thanks

teufler

OK, IF YOU ARE GETTING 4 BARS I don't think its the antenna. From downton altos, its only 5 miles tothe base and you can probably get that with no antenna or a broken off one. here is a file that has altus afb, okwin, with a tower in Comanche cty, some texas stuff, and some surrounding counties of Jackson cty. The fips codes are in for the weather in jackson, and counties in texax and northwest of jackson, Altus afb is set as a digital vhf system.

Attachments

• altus.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 46

smitzinok

Premium Subscriber
Trying your file, getting nothing, but Altus PD. Could it have been the weather yesterday? I'll swing by radio shack and pick up an antenna and try again.

Last edited:

smitzinok

Premium Subscriber
Picked up an ST4 from Radio Shack. Mounted in on an old dish j pole on the roof.
Seems to be working fine. I've got a lot of tweaking to do.
Thanks Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.