RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 9:16 PM

Question Close Call or Signal Stalker?

I want to get a scanner that can detect nearby Radio Frequencies to help me discover new frequencies and to use in area's that my scanner is not already programed.

Uniden has the Close Call feature and Radio Shack has the Signal Stalker feature.

Does anyone have any experience to compare Close Call vs Signal Stalker?
Is one overall better than the other?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Signal stalker - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden Close Call - The RadioReference Wiki
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post
I want to get a scanner that can detect nearby Radio Frequencies to help me discover new frequencies and to use in area's that my scanner is not already programed.

Uniden has the Close Call feature and Radio Shack has the Signal Stalker feature.

Does anyone have any experience to compare Close Call vs Signal Stalker?
Is one overall better than the other?
I have "Close Call" on one of my hand scanners. It does great at picking up distant signals. About last week, ten days ago I had it set, and picked up the frequency for the local ham repeater ( which I already knew). That tower is about 6 to 7 miles as the crow flys.

Two years ago, or there abouts, I picked up two more radio frequencies......again, I already knew ---> State Police low band, and a sheriffs office in an ajoining county, whom has a tower near our county line.....about 5 or 6 miles away, in a straight line.

Three years ago, I picked up an aircraft frequency. I looked it up, and it was a designated low sector freq. Only two aircraft above be, so it must have been one of them.

I have no experience with signal stalker, but "Close Call" with the squelch set real low......works wonders for me.

Of course with the success of "Close Call" that I have had, I will not complain.

FF - Medic !!!

http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/P25/VX-P920
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have had a little bit of experience with close call, and one thing I've noticed is if you're too close to the transmitter that it will not work correctly, like one time I was transmitting on a 2 meter ham frequency and my scanner was on close call and it was picking up a frequency in the 300 mhz area, I've also had it bring in radio stations on close call 30 to 40 miles away!!
Old 07-12-2014, 5:32 AM

Once while gassing up at my local Wawa (convenience store) and having my scanner working, I questioned the attendant about his radio.

I explained to him that I could 'grab' his frequency using close call. He keyed up his radio and I showed him the displayed frequency of his radio.

Yes, it does occasionally lock onto a relatively nearby strong signal, but for walking through malls, or other business locations, it works well.

Try that (I have) with a RS PRO-106 (I did). It laboriously scans through selected frequency ranges and frequently hangs up on birdies. I don't use it.

Amp

V
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
Try that (I have) with a RS PRO-106 (I did). It laboriously scans through selected frequency ranges and frequently hangs up on birdies. I don't use it.
Have you(or anyone else reading this) saw this issue, or similar, on the Pro-107 model?
I see they both have the same version of Signal Stalker, version II.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

One thing you might want to investigate is I believe Signal Stalker II is only for searching out new frequencies. Meaning you can't scan programmed banks at the same time it's running. Close Call will allow you to scan your banks or systems at the same time and on the 396/996/BCT15 allows for different options on how you want Close Call to work in conjunction with your "normal" scanning.
Old 07-13-2014, 9:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweekerbob View Post
One thing you might want to investigate is I believe Signal Stalker II is only for searching out new frequencies. Meaning you can't scan programmed banks at the same time it's running. Close Call will allow you to scan your banks or systems at the same time and on the 396/996/BCT15 allows for different options on how you want Close Call to work in conjunction with your "normal" scanning.
You are correct on the signal stalker. You cannot scan programmed scanlists & use signal stalker at the same time.