Need a new scanner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
hey guys I have a PRO-164 scanner and im looking to upgrade to a newer digital scanner. I also want it to be able to listen to analog too. since my area is still analog but i want to listen to digital trunked freq. a little bit aways from me. So is a digital scanner able to also listen to analog freq. And can you guys recommend a digital scanner that with some good features on it

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Almost all digital scanners can scan analog frequencies as well. I currently use a Uniden BCD996XT Scanner. It is a digital scanner with P25 Phase I support. You can get it for around $450 new. Not sure what your price point is? What specific radio systems are you trying to listen to?

mikepdx

Almost all digital scanners can scan analog frequencies as well. I currently use a Uniden BCD996XT Scanner. It is a digital scanner with P25 Phase I support. You can get it for around $450 new. Not sure what your price point is? What specific radio systems are you trying to listen to?

I can't name any scanner that will not receive analog signals.

The BCD996XT is under $400 with free shipping at Amazon.
Shop around.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
The Pro-106 is another good scanner to get, note this is a handheld. Not as many features as the Uniden, but can be got for around $250 used, sometimes less if you find a really good deal. It is no longer made though, so I would push for the Uniden one if you can afford it. Both scan analog, Motorola Smartnet, EDACS, LTR, and P25 systems. Those are the only 2 scanners I have owned and can attest to.

hey guys I have a PRO-164 scanner and im looking to upgrade to a newer digital scanner. I also want it to be able to listen to analog too. since my area is still analog but i want to listen to digital trunked freq. a little bit aways from me. So is a digital scanner able to also listen to analog freq. And can you guys recommend a digital scanner that with some good features on it

Ill point to the obvious,,

Main Index - RadioReference Classifieds

Plenty of solid used digitals always on the RR classifieds..
996T,996XT,psr500,psr600,396XT,pro106....lots of options and roads to take..

PhillyPhoto

There are 2 upgrade scenarios when going from analog to digital scanners:

1) Get the latest & greatest now. That would be the BCx536HP line from Uniden or finding a GRE PSR800 on eBay or maybe in the classifieds. The advantage to this is you're only paying for a scanner once and will be set for Phase II if no one in your area has gotten there yet.

2) Buy a previous generation scanner such as the BCD996XT, and when you're area goes P2, you'll have to buy a P2 capable scanner. The advantage to this is you'll get the latest in hardware for when you actually need it, but you'll be paying more overall (you lose any depreciation in value from your first scanner if you sell it to buy the second one.)

If you're looking at a base Phase 2 scanner, the BCD536HP if $600 and $100 of that is for the WiFi dongle that doesn't work yet. If you can wait, Whistler has started rolling out what were the last generation GRE scanners (aside from the PSR-800), and they are on Radio Shacks site. So the PSR-800 replacement and the PSR-900 that never was should be coming out from Whistler in the near future. When they do come out you can compare them to the Uniden models and see which is better for you.

If Phase II isn't on the horizon, I would go with the 996xt for a base or a 396xt for a mobile. Both have gotten a lot of praise on here.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Stay away from the BCD536HP because of hardware issues. Go with the bullet proof BCD996XT and you can get them for 300 to 350.00 bucks brand new right now. They will do analog and digital up to APCO P25 phase I.

Or wait for the Whistler WS1065 that will arrive on the shelves in the next couple of weeks. Those radios have good digital decode. With your needs stay away from the 600 dollar scanners. You won't need it. Waste of money unless you need Phase II TDMA receive.

wise871

Database Admin
You can also search Radio Shack in store, don't use online, for a 996XT. They are between $99 and $174 if you can locate one.

Status
Not open for further replies.