Use Grecom PSR-200U to hear police dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianwc

Hi,

Total newbie here. I have the Grecom PSR-200U. I want to hear the Emeryville, CA police dispatch. There is some info on this site at this link: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5317 but I don't understand how to use that information to tune my scanner.

Emeryville Talkgroups

Primary site - ALCO NW
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
3155 c53 D EmryvillePD1 Police Dispatch Law Dispatch
3156 c54 D EmryvillePD2 Police Ch 2 Law Tac
3157 c55 D EmryvillePD3 Police Ch 3 Law Tac
3158 c56 E EmryvillePD4 Police Ch 4 Law Tac

When I first bought this scanner the police were using a different system and it almost automatically tuned right to the correct channel, so I never needed to learn what all these buttons do. I don't really need to learn everything it can do. I just want to tune to police dispatch and leave it there. I tried searching these forums and reading the FAQ, but I am so new at this that it really just confuses me even more. Thanks for any help.

brianwc

Bummer

Well, thanks for the reply, even if it brings bad news. Is there a $100 or less scanner you'd recommend that can deal with digital trunk systems?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
For a hundred bucks I imagine you'll have to frequent yard sales and thrift stores. I don't think there's a new P25 scanner under about 300 bucks or so.

I have a friend who got a used GRE 500 for twenty bucks at a garage sale, so it can be done.

Last edited:

brianwc

"P25"? What's that mean? Can anyone explain the DEC and Hex codes in that listing above? I don't even understand what kind of scanner I need to be looking for. If I raised my price to $300 what scanners would work for this purpose? What "feature" or capability do I need to be looking for in a scanner in order to be sure to be able to follow the dispatch listed above?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
"P25"? What's that mean?
See APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Can anyone explain the DEC and Hex codes in that listing above? I don't even understand what kind of scanner I need to be looking for. If I raised my price to $300 what scanners would work for this purpose? What "feature" or capability do I need to be looking for in a scanner in order to be sure to be able to follow the dispatch listed above?
The system you are wanting to hear, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5317, is a P25 Phase I trunked system. P25 and Phase I refer to a standard specification on a specific type of radio system using digital transmissions. For more on trunked systems, see Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki.

The scanner you currently own, the PSR-200, is not only not capable of decoding digital transmissions, it also is not a trunk-tracking scanner, and also does not cover the 700 & 800MHz frequencies of the system you want to hear.

If you raised your price range to $300, you might be able to find a used digital scanner that will handle that system, either here in the classifieds, on eBay, or possibly in a local Pawn Shop. See below.

GRE manufactured scanners:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-197 (Base/Mobile)
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
[FONT=&quot]The above were manufactured by GRE, which has ceased production and disbanded. New units, leftover stock, are now rare. For the PSR-800, its price has escalated above the original market pricing. This is largely because the PSR-800 was the only current scanner that could handle X2-TDMA/Phase II talkgroups (before Uniden released the 436HP & 536HP). For any GRE manufactured scanner purchased used, make sure it's complete (all parts included, including battery holders), and in good working order. With GRE now no longer in the picture, parts and service support are problematic.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Current Uniden Models
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Slightly Older Models (Discontinued, but can be found in used, but good, condition. These cannot utilize the NAC codes for P25 conventional frequencies):
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

[/FONT][/FONT]Uniden also released these two new scanners in the first quarter of 2014. They have some of the features of the Home Patrol, including the ease of programming via the stored RadioReference database, as well as functions carried over from the XT series scanners. They also are capable of P25 Phase II decoding. (Unless you run across one at a fire sale price, these two will be outside your target price range.)
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
[FONT=&quot]Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Note: The system you are wanting to hear at this time does not require a Phase II capable scanner.

Whistler has acquired the rights to the former GRE line of scanners, and has released new digital scanners to the market both under their nameplate, and also under the Radio Shack "Pro" series.. However, these are brand new, out a very short time, selling for around $400 new, so there will be few on the used market for a while, and likely would be over your target price.
[/FONT]

bailly2

uniden 396T $325. sacramento. cheapest digital scanner i could find on craigslist for the san francisco bay area
sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/4650120702.html

Status
Not open for further replies.