Static at end of transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, quick question about some static I am getting.
My current setup is a radio shack pro 651 hooked to a outdoor antennacraft st2 which I have been loving.
On one of my frequently listened to channels I get static right before the end of the transmission.
We live close to the top on the north west side of a mountain and the tower the transmission is coming from is south west of us. Sometimes I do get normal static during the entire transmission but most of the time it is right at the end before they finish talking.
Any help would be great
Thanks,
Larry

JoeyC

Since a lot of peoples definition of "static" is normal characteristics on a radio, it would help if you provided a recording of a typical transmission with the static that you are trying to identify/troubleshoot.

teufler

the static might be on the transmiter side of the equation. If you note you signal strength, if it does not fall off, while the static is heard, its being transmitted and its not your radio.. They might have a squelch tail on their transmiter. Some use a tail like a courtesey tone to signal others that the transmission is over and about to reset. It also helps others no that the transmission is over and they have not lost a transmission. If they are using a tone, and you can see what the tone is, change your radio to ctcss, with the tone , as see if you still get the noisey tail. If they are using a tone, and you are ctcss, as soon as the audio stops, the tone should stop, and your radio should go quiet. Also your own radio, check your squelch so you are alittle above squelch threshold. The point of radio quieting, then a tad more.

nepatitan

Premium Subscriber
@teufler I have not checked weather the signal is dropping off and as for the tone I just got my new scanner and have not figured it out much lol but im so excited that I'm only using it so far.
Tomorrow I will check out the things you noted and reply back.
Thanks!

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I have a similar question. At the end of all transmissions, both from units and from county, once the carrier drops there is a sharp audio spike at the end of every transmission. Now I understand when radios are programmed correctly they receive the PL drop-out and mute the radio prior to the carrier drop but scanners cannot do that. Is there a setting or something on the scanners to prevent this spike?

You can listen to my Mifflin County Fire and EMS feed for examples as people talk.

My Juniata County feed does not appear to do it

jfhtm350

If you don't have the PL or DPL tones programmed in, then try turning your squelch up a little.
Having the PL or DPL code programmed in will probably also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.