Scanning for P25 systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone!

I live in South America and I'd like to know which scanner (brand and model) is the most user friendly for scanning P25 systems without programming and/or having database....

Thanks!

N8IAA

Hello everyone!

I live in South America and I'd like to know which scanner (brand and model) is the most user friendly for scanning P25 systems without programming and/or having database....

Thanks!

Welcome, BRRX. You need to be more specific on your location so that those who live in your area can help:)
Larry

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Understand. I looked at the database, but there is not a lot for south america... only Mexico. I sent you a PM also. I can tell that they system used is the same system as Kingston in Canada (P25 Phase 1).

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has been no help either... any info would be appreciated. PM or here. Thanks!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On the BCD996XT and BCD396XT you can search the frequency range. When it stops on a control channel you can then enter that CC into a system and it should track it.

If it should work, then stop working a day or so later, you may have to do it again to obtain any alternate control channel, then add it to the system too.

There is a lot in the Database for Chile.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?coid=44

Caracas has a trunked system

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6461

From what I have seen only the large major cities have trunked systems. When I was in the military I noticed a lot of U.S radio gear was left/donated to foreign countries and the may use it for public safety as well as the military.

Last edited:

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Which scanner would be the best option to use without a database and to "search" for control channels and then be able to save/follow them? They system used is P25 digital by Tait Radio Communications, but some is encrypted!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It doesn't matter where he's from. He's not asking for others to search for systems for him, he's asking for opinions on what scanner to use so he himself can look for signals and track them.

BRRX, you could use either a Uniden BCD396XT handheld or a Whistler WS1040 handheld. Both will allow you to search for P25 control channel signals. Both of them offer the ability to do it either on the screen of the radio, or connect to a computer with a USB cable and use a free program like Unitrunker or PRO96COM to log the resulting data on your (Windows) computer.

The fact that encryption is in use should not affect your ability to decode the control channel. It will just prevent you from being able to tell who is using what voice channel (also known as a talkgroup).

Good hunting!

mciupa

carlosriosg

Premium Subscriber
hello
I've only used the "FreeScan" program
in that program organizes the basic frequency scanner.

No if the APCO 25 must be done in another program .....?

mciupa

hello
I've only used the "FreeScan" program
in that program organizes the basic frequency scanner.

No if the APCO 25 must be done in another program .....?

Freescan is good for APCO. I am wondering what is the name of the system that you are seeing.

What city are you monitoring? Is this for Police Services or for business?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
When your radio is displaying what you showed in that picture, press the FUNC button (the larger of the buttons on the left side). Your radio should show "SID" and "WACN" flashing on and off. Let us know what it says along with those words.

carlosriosg

Premium Subscriber
Hello friends, I have followed all the steps to configure the scanner Uniden BCD396XT, to listen to the P25 band of police, and I can not hear anything,,'ve seen the TGID on the radio and when the scan is done the same numbers enter the FreeScan .. but do not hear.

frequencies the kick by RadioReference
Carabineros de Chile (Police) Trunking System, Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan - Scanner Frequencies

in this link are the pictures of the setup
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B99nmzAoPDh_M25HZjAybzN1YkU&usp=sharing

I hope you can help me
thank you very much

Carlos Rios
Santiago - Chile

mciupa

Hello Carlos, I used Google Translate to help with my reply.

No es posible escuchar Porque la comunicación está cifrada.

carlosriosg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your answer,
bad news for me,
yesterday for a short time, about 30 seconds, achieve hear something,,,, do not know if it was coincidence or not, then I heard nothing more

you where you are?
you speak Spanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.