Help receiving a frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbro

Alright, I am about to pull my hair out. Ive been researching and trying to figure this issue out for a couple months now.

I have a Uniden BCD536HP
With the radio shack Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna which is located on my roof ( Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com )
And a radio shack 50' antenna cord

I have programmed the Westfield MA police frequency 859.93750 ( https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1219 ) I can pick up all other frequencies fine that i have programmed, including the Westfield fire department next to the PD which comes in loud and clear. I live approximately 14 miles away from the Westfield PD. About once every two weeks or so I will pick up a single transmission from that frequency and it comes in loud and clear. Other than that, I can never ever pick up any transmissions from that frequency.

Can anyone help me out before I go insane?

Tbro

I haven't received any transmissions on those channels actually.
But I also monitor chicopee MA which is 851.56250 which I receive perfect, but it's also about 5 miles away.
I had my suspicions it was the antenna, would I be better off with a wide band?
I appreciate your reply

dmg1969

As captclint pointed out, that your antenna is meant for VHF/UHF. Try a different antenna. Maybe something like the ST-2 Scantenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n4yek

Do you ever hear activity on the other two freqs listed for Westfield PD? Maybe the descriptions are incorrect in the database for the frequencies.
Just a thought...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You need the correct antenna system

The antenna SYSTEM is everything. The correct antenna, directional if necessary, and the best coax you can find.

I am using this antenna: discone
And this coax: Air802

And have no problems with 800 MHz at 30 miles (or 60 at night).

Status
Not open for further replies.