Wondering about unwanted channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloopJohnB

I've got my BCD436HP working pretty good -- at least I believe it is.
I have done most of the programming via the scanner itself, as I still find the Sentinel sw to be woefully lacking.

Anyway -- my typical routine goes like this: I turn the scanner on and then for the next 15 mins or so, I have to hit the AVOID button numerous times to block out many channels of just static noise that the scanner locks on. These channels are most always from far away, over in Maryland. Once I get them all voided, the scanner settles down and I can listen in on the local conversations ok. But, interestingly, most all of the conversations are one or two counties away. I seldom hear anything close to me from my local sheriff's ofc or Fire/EMT.

If I turn the scanner off and then back on again, I have to repeat the whole process again.

As I said -- I have not found how to manipulate the Sentinel sw to block all of these unwanted freqs. Probably just me, but the sw seems to be of not much use.

So my question to all is this ... is this normal, having to void the long distance channels? I have the distance set at like 20 miles on the scanner, but these freqs come from a hundred or more miles away. Am I dealing with "skip"?

dmg1969

First of all, I don't have a 436, but I'm sure it is somewhat similar in operation to the HP-1.

You are likely making the avoids temporary, not permanent. A temporary avoid will clear when you power cycle the scanner.

It sounds like you are scanning the entire database when you should probably create favorite lists.

SloopJohnB

Thanks
Yes -- I am only using the Avoid button on the front panel, which I understand is temporary only (until powered off).
As for creating Favorite Lists, I am still in the dark. For instance -- let's say I am listening in on a conversation between a dispatcher and an LEO in his patrol car. If I were to enter that in my Favorite List, would it be only his specific car frequency, or would be a general range of freqs for that Law department?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
But, interestingly, most all of the conversations are one or two counties away.

So my question to all is this ... is this normal, having to void the long distance channels? I have the distance set at like 20 miles on the scanner, but these freqs come from a hundred or more miles away. Am I dealing with "skip"?

Have you attempted to decrease the Range settings so the scanner narrows the circle of "things" it scans?

Skip is possible, but only remotely. It would take a distant station having the same frequency and CTCSS as a "local" station for it to show up on your scanner. (I've heard there is some sun spot activity going on which could affect skip, supposedly).

I too recommend you explore creating Favorites Lis(s). That way you can limit your scanner to receiving only those "things" that you wish to hear thus "avoiding the avoiding".

For your second question, presuming the dispatcher and LEO are on the same frequency and that frequency is in your Favorites List, yes.

I think if you try doing a Favorites List, you will be quite surprised how easy it can be (after a wee bit of learning/practice) and efficient it is on scanning. About all you are doing with a FL is importing only the "stuff" from the database you want to hear.

About the only time I scan the full database is when I'm traveling. For my local scanning, it's Favorites Lists only.

SloopJohnB

Thanks ofd

I am beginning to realize the importance of using FLs. I am going to start learning how to use them fast.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you press the AVOID button twice instead of once, it avoids the channel/talkgroup permanently, until you turn off the Avoid in Sentinel.

SloopJohnB

If you press the AVOID button twice instead of once, it avoids the channel/talkgroup permanently, until you turn off the Avoid in Sentinel.

Are you kidding me? That is GREAT advice -- something that, so far, I've been unable to read anywhere in the instruction book. Anyway, thanks and I will start doing just that.

Update
I starting using the double tap on the Avoid button, and sure enough the message switches from "temporary" to "permanent". I went through about 5 minutes of AVOIDs, and now my scanner is performing beautifully. I am forever in your debt!

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I starting using the double tap on the Avoid button, and sure enough the message switches from "temporary" to "permanent". I went through about 5 minutes of AVOIDs, and now my scanner is performing beautifully.!

If you do a future update the database in your scanner (as in doing a download from Uniden via Sentinel, then writing that to the scanner), you'll have to repeat this exercise. That's because you have a whole new database on the scanner and avoids do not carry forward from old DB to new DB.

Also with you permanently avoiding those channels in the master database, they are effectively wiped out for good, even if you want to scan them. To recover, you'll have to do a database download to the scanner.

SloopJohnB

If you do a future update the database in your scanner (as in doing a download from Uniden via Sentinel, then writing that to the scanner), you'll have to repeat this exercise. That's because you have a whole new database on the scanner and avoids do not carry forward from old DB to new DB.

Also with you permanently avoiding those channels in the master database, they are effectively wiped out for good, even if you want to scan them. To recover, you'll have to do a database download to the scanner.

I figured as much, but I have no desire to ever listen to the ones I wiped out. Most are at least a hundred miles away in another state. I looked at their IDs before doing the AVOID.

Status
Not open for further replies.