trying to get signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughyi8u

I just bought a yaesu ft-2900r transceiver. I'm able to get the weather stations and came across an am radio station but that's it. Im assuming the radio works since it got these two signals but I'm unable to find the am station I got even after scanning the entire 2 meter range. I'm also trying to get on the local repeater but dont' get any signal. The "busy" indicator shows but it's all static, no clear signal. If I'm able to get the indicator to show is that an indication that there's a signal there that I'm unable to get? I also tried setting ctcss and dcs on the frequency of the local repeater but I'm not getting a clear signal (I can't hear anyone talking, just static.

Thanks for any help.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
There could be a few different things going on here. Without more info its kinda hard to help.

How far are you away from repeater? Do you have the tones and offsets setup for the repeaters? Whats transmit power set to?
And you say you get only static. Is that with the squelch on?

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I just bought a yaesu ft-2900r transceiver. I'm able to get the weather stations and came across an am radio station but that's it...

That's a neat trick. The FT-2900R doesn't have AM mode. Can you clarify by what you mean?

doughyi8u

I'm using a copper jpole antennae bought off ebay. The antenna is advertised as a 2 meter. The coax is 50 ohm standard coax. I'm about 5 miles from one repeater and the other I'd like to connect to is about 15 miles away.

I never went into am mode. I just got a signal around 165-170 mhz that I thought was an am radio station.

That is w/ the squelch on and I've tried all transmit levels.

I thought it could be tone and adjusted that to the tone of the repeater but no dice. How do I check the offset?

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a copper jpole antennae bought off ebay. The antenna is advertised as a 2 meter. The coax is 50 ohm standard coax. I'm about 5 miles from one repeater and the other I'd like to connect to is about 15 miles away.

I never went into am mode. I just got a signal around 165-170 mhz that I thought was an am radio station.

That is w/ the squelch on and I've tried all transmit levels.

I thought it could be tone and adjusted that to the tone of the repeater but no dice. How do I check the offset?

Are you just punching in the repeater frequency and trying to transmit?

W3DMV

Would be very helpful if we know your general location and which repeater
you are trying to access so we can look up the info and make some specific
suggestions to try....

N8IAA

doughyi8u, a couple of questions.
Did you buy the radio new?
Are you programming the output frequency? The radio should put the proper output frequency in for you. Is the proper CTCSS tone being programmed also?
How much power are you running?
Do be aware that not all repeaters are active every time of the day. Usually morning and evening rush hours.
Larry

doughyi8u

No, I bought the radio used. It does get weather channel so I figured it's working. Yes I am using the output frequency. And I did use the proper ctcss tone...(88.50 for 147.150)

Triplefoamer

ft-2900 nothing but static and weather

Were you ever able to figure this out? Mine is same way. cant really pick up anything other than weather station. Purchased used on ebay. New Comet GP-9 antenna on a 40" mast... but can hear nothing..... with MFJ-949e which dopes not do 2 meters, the reflective power is though the roof. Tried a new coax, no change. Took antenna down and took apart looking for a bad solder joint, nothing found. A part of me thinks it the radio and I'm at my wits end with this radio getting nothing but weather. Any advise would ne greatly appreciated. No local repeaters can be heard, just static. No national calling activity can be heard, just static.

doughyi8u

I learned that you have to wait at times. There was nothing wrong w/ my radio, just me being impatient. How long have you waited for the repeater? I've spent 20 min on a channel and not heard anything.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The "AM radio station" you are hearing is a IFB or remote link so staffers in the field can go live on the air. It's actually FM but relays the broadcast station's audio feed. These are frequently wide band FM. You can also find similar feeds 450-451 MHz and 455-460 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.