How do I enter this freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gord21

I was looking at the Mountain Home Amateur club. One frequency was 144.88. How do I enter this on my Sangean ATS 505 radio? I don't even know if this is SW or Mhz or Khz. Thanks for the help.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
That is a two meter frequency in MHz. Your Sangean ATS 505 radio does not cover that frequency range.

gord21

What do you call the type of radio needed to hear amateurs? Thanks for your response.

DickH

What do you call the type of radio needed to hear amateurs? Thanks for your response.

You can hear them on the SW Bands on that radio. Do a search for Amateur freqs. for the various bands. See your radio manual for the ranges it covers.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
To receive FM amateur radio traffic in the two meter band, you need a scanner radio that covers 144.000 to 148.000 MHz. Most scanners that cover two meter FM will also cover the 70 cm FM amateur radio band 430.000 to 450.000 MHz. Almost any analog scanner has these capabilities.

The poster DickH is correct that you may receive amateur radio traffic on your Sagean. Most of that traffic will be in the SSB (single side band) mode so you will need to use the SSB feature on your Sagean.

Below are links to frequencies allocated to the Amateur Radio Service on the ARRL website. The ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) is the national association for amateur radio in the USA.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands_color.pdf

http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations

Main ARRL site below:

Home

Last edited:

n5ims

There are amateur bands from the low frequency (think kHz here, as low as 160 kHz) all the way up in to the hundreds of gigahertz (300 GHz+) range. No radio will work on the entire frequency range.

A SW radio will work on the HF frequencies - think 1.6 - 30 MHz here. A typical scanner will work on the VHF and UHF bands (think 30 - 900 MHz here). You'll need custom equipment to work on the very low and very high frequencies (note, that this isn't intended to be what is called the VHF bands - think 30 - 200 MHz or so - but the Very High frequencies - think 2+ GHz for this reference).

LF (Low Frequency)
Band Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.