Base Scanner Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott216

I'm interested in getting a base station scanner for my Vermont ski house so I can hear what's going on at my local ski mountain (Mount Snow). I've got a pole on my roof for my weather station, so I'm thinking I could put a radio antenna up there.

Mount Snow uses these frequencies: 461.35000, 461.70000, 462.32500
I got those frequency info from here: Windham County, Vermont (VT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I estimate the coax length from the antenna to the base station would be no more then 70 feet. Probably closer to 50.

I'm looking for advice on an antenna and base station radio. I'd like a radio I can program with the Mount Snow channels (and maybe a few others). Since all the radio transmission are coming from one location - Mount Snow - should I get a directional antenna? I don't really know anything about squelch, but if some radios are better then others at staying silent unless someone is talking, then I'd like the better radio. I've got an old ICOM IC-R5 and it's programmed to scan about 10 channels. Most of the time I hear static coming from it, which is pretty annoying.

I'm about 2 miles from the Mount Snow. From the roof there is a direct line of sight to most of the ski mountain. I'd like to keep the total cost below $500. I appreciate any suggestions.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you can get up to 50 or 70 that would be a good thing! Hopefully you are closer to the top than the bottom of a mountain, which further improves reception capabilities.

On the antenna, I'd be inclined to use a non-directional. That's so I can listen to a wider range of things, other than something it was directly pointed toward. (I'm a "more the merrier" type).

Here's what I use and am happy with:

ST4 Antennacraft Omni Base Antenna

I don't see anything that uses digital "stuff", so you wouldn't need a digital scanner. So I'd be inclined to use something like a Uniden BCT15X.

bct15x | ScannerMaster.com

Static could be avoided with programming the CTCSS tones. However your radio might be trying to pick-up a weak signal.

scott216

Thanks for the advice. I'm down near the bottom of the mountain. I can pickup some Mt Snow transmissions with my ICOM IC-R5 handheld scanner which has an 12" whip antenna, so I think anything on my roof should work pretty well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The higher you can go, the better reception you'll get.

The rule of thumb is "Go as high as you can and use the best coax you can afford".

Lastly, when making up your connections at the antenna, be sure to wrap the connection with some type of weather resistant tape. That will reduce the potential for water infiltrating the connection, which leads to rust and degraded reception over time.

scott216

I've used self sealing silicone tape that I think is good fit for something like this.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Since you are in a mountainous area, you need to take into account is the radiation angle of the antenna. Getting an expensive gain type antenna could actually be counter-productive. Antennas with gain typically achieve the gain by focusing the radiated power to a desired angle/direction. Given my understanding of your location vs. the transmitting site, I would recommend a 1/4 ground plane cut for the GMRS band... something like this one: UHF Ground Planes | Centerfire Antenna That will give you a good high angle lobe and omnidirectional coverage. You could use a beam if it is angled AND pointed correctly, but the 1/4 omni should work well and is inexpensive as a bonus!

If you have direct line of sight to the transmitter antenna, I would not be too concerned about the coax... RG-8x would be fine.

If you are dedicating the radio to this function, I would recommend buying an older scanner (cheap on eBay!), since they will all be capable of receiving those frequencies. Trunking will not be required. Just make sure that the radio have an external antenna connector.

Blackink

Here's another option/antenna idea.....

I use an ST-2 Antenna and if you click on the "Buy Now" button in the link there, it'll take you to a Radio Shack Web site that has it for sale at $39.99 with free shipping.

That's a good deal, it comes with everything you'll need and the 50' of coax is good cable.

Like on of the other posters recommended, get some weather sealant tape to protect the connections from the elements.

I used the 50' of supplied coax, added another 10' of cheap coax, and the antenna is up on a ten foot pole above my metal roof.
I get frequencies from as far away as 60 miles from me on my BCT15x scanner. Frequencies 40 miles from me I get with 4-5 bars signal strength.

I can pick up Sugarbush ski area from my location but I'm not a skier and have no interest in listening in.

stingray327

I use an ST-2 Antenna and if you click on the "Buy Now" button in the link there, it'll take you to a Radio Shack Web site that has it for sale at $39.99 with free shipping.

That's a good deal, it comes with everything you'll need and the 50' of coax is good cable.

Like on of the other posters recommended, get some weather sealant tape to protect the connections from the elements.

I used the 50' of supplied coax, added another 10' of cheap coax, and the antenna is up on a ten foot pole above my metal roof.
I get frequencies from as far away as 60 miles from me on my BCT15x scanner. Frequencies 40 miles from me I get with 4-5 bars signal strength.

I can pick up Sugarbush ski area from my location but I'm not a skier and have no interest in listening in.

I used to have the old Channel Master antenna which was of the same design as the ST-2. Now I am using the ST-2 and it is in need of replacement. Both of these antennas don't hold up to wind that well. Excellent reception on both of these base antennas.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Since you are in a mountainous area, you need to take into account is the radiation angle of the antenna.

Here are a couple of pics that I copied off the web to hopefully help you visualize the need to take into account the radiation angle of the antenna. In the theoretical example, if your antenna was located 1 mile from the mountaintop antenna, it is at a 45 degree angle from your location. Although the 5/8 wave provides gain at lower angles, it performs poorly at 45 degrees.

Attachments

• Angles.jpg
    Angles.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 375

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I remember Mt Snow as a kid!! We had a house off Rt 9 near Hogback. Great memories! Skied Mt Snow, Haystack, Corinthia, Hogback, Stratton, Majic Mtn, and Bromley. My big sister still lives in Londonderry. I imagine the comms are from ski patrol? Never remember any crime or trouble in that area? Hope it's snowing right now for the ski season? Please post a pic bring back some old memories.

scott216

Since you are in a mountainous area, you need to take into account is the radiation angle of the antenna. Getting an expensive gain type antenna could actually be counter-productive. Antennas with gain typically achieve the gain by focusing the radiated power to a desired angle/direction. Given my understanding of your location vs. the transmitting site, I would recommend a 1/4 ground plane cut for the GMRS band... something like this one: UHF Ground Planes | Centerfire Antenna That will give you a good high angle lobe and omnidirectional coverage. You could use a beam if it is angled AND pointed correctly, but the 1/4 omni should work well and is inexpensive as a bonus!

If you have direct line of sight to the transmitter antenna, I would not be too concerned about the coax... RG-8x would be fine.

If you are dedicating the radio to this function, I would recommend buying an older scanner (cheap on eBay!), since they will all be capable of receiving those frequencies. Trunking will not be required. Just make sure that the radio have an external antenna connector.

Thanks for the info. You guys give great advice on this forum. I'm glad I found it.

scott216

Looking at the BCT15X order page I see the software it uses is ARCXT. This software is probably fine for me, but I'm curious if there's other compatible software available.

DickH

Thanks for the advice. I'm down near the bottom of the mountain. I can pickup some Mt Snow transmissions with my ICOM IC-R5 handheld scanner which has an 12" whip antenna, so I think anything on my roof should work pretty well.

The right length for 462MHz is 6", but 12" should work OK.

Blackink

FreeSCAN software is free....

Looking at the BCT15X order page I see the software it uses is ARCXT. This software is probably fine for me, but I'm curious if there's other compatible software available.

Take a look at this software:

FreeSCAN

It's what I use and it works great for my needs.

scott216

The right length for 462MHz is 6", but 12" should work OK.

I'd like to get a shorter antenna and take the IC-R5 on the ski slope with me. My long antenna (it's actually 15" not 12" - Diamond SRH77CA). Any suggestions as to what to get? I misplaced the original antenna that came with the IC-R5.

scott216

I'm trying to decide where to locate the BCT15X. One option I'm considering is to wall mount it. Can you wall mount these units? If so, is there a special wall-mount accessory I need to buy?

Edit - I just looked at a manual for the BCT15X and it's a lot deeper then I thought, so I don't think wall-mounting is an option.

Last edited:

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I'd like to get a shorter antenna and take the IC-R5 on the ski slope with me. My long antenna (it's actually 15" not 12" - Diamond SRH77CA). Any suggestions as to what to get? I misplaced the original antenna that came with the IC-R5.

I use that antenna with my VX-7 HT when needing the extra range. It's a great antenna!

I think you should get a VERY flexible antenna when carrying to reduce stress on the SMA connector on the radio. I use a Diamond SRH519 on my VX-2: it states that it is also a wideband receive antenna. The base is about 1.5" and the skinny, flexible whip is just over 6". You might also consider a Comet SMA-501, which is about 1.5" total. I am surprised how well that little bugger actually works!

scott216

I don't have a radio like yours, so I don't know if it can accept a female SMA connector (I would think it would need an antenna with a male connector). Otherwise, looks perfect!

I didn't even notice that. I guess I would need an adapter with that antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.