What Scanner tolisten to LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

THISISAMELK

Hello everyone,I am somewhat new to scanners and I was wondering what scanner I should buy to listen to the LAPD I have been thinking about the bcd436hp and the 396xt. Thank you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Both are excellent scanners.

LAPD uses mostly digital, so you'll need one that will handle that.

The 396XT is portable. The 536 is base/mobile at least for now.

I'm probably unleashing a beast by mentioning this, but here goes. Uniden is working on a Siren App for the 536. When finished, this iPhone app will allow your iPhone to control and listen to the scanner. It has taken much longer than anticipated for this app (more than enough discussion has taken place about this elsewhere), but I'm confident we'll see it at some point. Thus it will allow the 536 to be more or less "portable", if you have an iPhone. I understand an Android app will be the next project.

I have two 536's and am quite happy with them. (Be even happier when the app comes out, however).

SCPD

QRT
Agreed the 436 and 536. I'm looking at same ones. There's the whistler 1080 I hear is decent also. I'm more of a keypad fan however.

THISISAMELK

Thanks for the reply ofd8001 and ptolemy9200 for the replies and i was just wondering is the big difference between the 2 like major differences?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT and 436 are portable scanners, meaning you can carry them around. The 436 is the latest model, having many more features. The 436 is a little easier to use right off the bat, very little set up. With the 396 you have to do some programming, which is complicated for a new person to this type of scanner. (It can be done, but will take some patience).

If I had to choose between the 396 or the 436, I'd go with a 436 hands down (unless $ is an issue).

The 536 is essentially the portable version of the 436. The only thing the 536 has is that siren app.

Of the three, my choice would be the 536.

N8IAA

How is the reception on both of the scanner with the stock antenna?

Actually, the 396XT will be an easier scanner to learn and operate. As easy as the x36HP scanners seem to be to program, it will have you pulling your hair out:lol: Another good scanner would be the Whistler WS-651.
Larry

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Freescan will progam the 396XT scanner and is good programming software. However to use the Radio Reference import feature, one needs to be a Radio Reference premium subscriber. Given all the frequencies in use in the LA area, it probably would be a wise investment. Downloading the data to program the scanner will be an immense time saver and you don't have to worry about typos when entering frequencies.

If you go the x36 route, then you can download scanner programming software from Uniden (Sentinel). This software can download the Uniden database of frequencies, which comes from Radio Reference. There is no charge to do that.

THISISAMELK

thanks for the info guys I got the bcd 436 hp and i prgrammed it every thing on the scanner took some time but i got it. Butbi do have one question how do you ented frequencies manually i tried doing it but it didnt seem to work any advice?

youtube.com/policefirevideos

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I recommend not trying to program the 436HP manually. Use Sentinel software and make a favorite list for the LAPD. Learn how to Sentinel, and it will make a big difference. I just saw this thread. I am in Cerritos and monitor the LAPD quite often. Have used all the scanners listed below in my signature, and all work well. The 436HP/536HP are my favorites for the LAPD, but all work well. However, depending on your location, you may need a bit more than the stock antenna.
The 436HP is a great scanner. You will like it. There are so many conventional/trunk systems, analog, digital in Los Angeles/Orange County, it will make your head spin. Start with the LAPD, it is easy to program using Sentinel favorite list.
If you have trouble, send me a PM (private mail through RRDB).
Steve AA6IO (amateur radio for 52 years)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
THISISAMELK,
You should really consider something other than the stock antenna if you want to hear a wide range of LAPD stations, including not only the dispatch channels, which are generally strong, but also the tactical and talk-around channels, where a lot of the action really is, but which tend to be weaker.
The Radio Shack antenna with a coil in the middle, and the Diamond RH77CA, are both good portable antennas. If you use the radio much at home, put something outside. Even a small mag mount antenna on a metal pie plate on your balcony will do more than any portable antenna inside your house.
Steve AA6IO

THISISAMELK

i made a favorites list on the scanner and it seeems to be working really well and thank you very muchbfor the info :)!

youtube.com/policefirevideos

Status
Not open for further replies.