Mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris665

So I bought a mobile magnet mount from radio shack. Will running the coax through the door and then closing the door on it in my car mess up the coax?what the best way to run the coax?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
So I bought a mobile magnet mount from radio shack. Will running the coax through the door and then closing the door on it in my car mess up the coax?what the best way to run the coax?

It is very unlikely that it will mess up the coax. Well, if you are selling a magmount antenna you have to design with the expectation that it will be run between the door and the frame. If you are going, for example, to drill a hole in your roof for the coax then you might as well put in a permanent mount and forget about a magmount.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It may or may not. However it would disrupt the seal on the door and allow a way of rain to work its way inside.

You may have other options available depending upon which type of vehicle you have (trunk lip mount, etc).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have enough coax, you might run it via the hatchback. It would reduce the chances of the cable getting in the way of people entering/exiting the vehicle.

My preference is to get a fender bracket so the antenna can be mounted to a front fender. I have one on my current truck and before that, the Expedition I had. They work well.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...t-mounts-268/nmo-vehicle-specific-mounts-297/

_Wilson_

Premium Subscriber
I formed drip loops in my ride, just make a note not to loop the coax in circles or you can make a "r f choke" there's a picture of one in my RR album, hope this helps

_Wilson_

Premium Subscriber
If you have enough coax, you might run it via the hatchback. It would reduce the chances of the cable getting in the way of people entering/exiting the vehicle.

My preference is to get a fender bracket so the antenna can be mounted to a front fender. I have one on my current truck and before that, the Expedition I had. They work well.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...t-mounts-268/nmo-vehicle-specific-mounts-297/

Yeah that's how I'm going to do my next install, front left fender, thanks Ofd8001

Status
Not open for further replies.