Upload to Scanner Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

V23

Premium Subscriber
I'm totally new to scanners but got my Christmas wish and I'm the proud owner of a Uniden BCD 396XT digital scanner. I'm using acr-xt to configure the programming but I can't upload the programming to my scanner. My Toshiba laptop that runs Windows 7 and I purchased the Uniden USB-1 Interface cable to connect the scanner to the computer. Once I have all the programming done, I try to upload but get a message that reads: "Serial port is not available or used by other software." Several attempts net the same result. I'm baffled. The Uniden USB-1 is the only thing plugged into the computer.
I know I must be doing something wrong. Additionally, when I close out the acr-xt programming and re-open it, my previous programming does not appear even though I saved the programming before I closed out.
Any idea where this rookie is going wrong? Appreciate any helpful advice!

Bucko

I take it you installed the driver for your USB-1 cable? If so go to the device manager of your computer and look under Ports and see what port is assigned for your USB to Serial device. Here is a link for Prolifis drivers Products.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I'm totally new to scanners but got my Christmas wish and I'm the proud owner of a Uniden BCD 396XT digital scanner. I'm using acr-xt to configure the programming but I can't upload the programming to my scanner. My Toshiba laptop that runs Windows 7 and I purchased the Uniden USB-1 Interface cable to connect the scanner to the computer. Once I have all the programming done, I try to upload but get a message that reads: "Serial port is not available or used by other software." Several attempts net the same result. I'm baffled. The Uniden USB-1 is the only thing plugged into the computer.
I know I must be doing something wrong. Additionally, when I close out the acr-xt programming and re-open it, my previous programming does not appear even though I saved the programming before I closed out.
Any idea where this rookie is going wrong? Appreciate any helpful advice!

Sounds like you need to load the drivers for the usb1 first? If you did that then make sure software has the correct comm port settings. One last thing check your usb1 chipset. The older version of the cable does not work with windows 7. Prolific.com has a download to check the chipset it's a small program easy to run.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might try powering down and re-starting your computer. Some times different programs try to use the same com port and the computer goes a little crazy.

A power-down and on cycle usually clears such issues (or that's what worked for me when I had a similar issue).

Also, I'm presuming you downloaded and installed the drivers for the USB-1 cable BEFORE you first connected the USB-1 cable. On the chance you didn't, and I confess I've been known to read instructions later rather than sooner, you can resolve the problem.

Here's what to do:
1. Disconnect the cable.
2. Uninstall the older Prolific drivers via the Windows Control Panel or perhaps it is the Device Manager, it's been so long I forget.
3. Power-down and re-start the computer.
4. Download and install the drivers for the cable.
5. Connect the USB-1 cable and it should be ready to write.

Voyager

It's device manager, and you would have to do that with the cable installed. Otherwise it will not show in the list.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe Voyager is right the more I think about it. It's been a while since I had to do that and it was a real pain to do so (at least for me).

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
In ARC XT first use the autodetect option in the comms setup (also see user manual).
That will set the correct usb/com port.
In the ARC XT software setup you can select to autoload a profile on software start-up.

Gommert
Butel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.