new to scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado05

So, I have a cheap Uniden Bearcat 350A that iv had in my truck for a year or so, but iv never really gotten anything with it besides the occasional fire run or air. Will upgrading to a newer digital scanner help that? I'm not sure if my scanner is even able to pick up local police freqs...

Silverado05

Springfield,ky-Washington county
And sometimes Marion county and nelson county
I picked up a few police freq in Nelson county but I can't get them to work anymore.

captclint

Mentor
Springfield,ky-Washington county
And sometimes Marion county and nelson county
I picked up a few police freq in Nelson county but I can't get them to work anymore.
Welcome to RR. The only things I found were Springfield PD and Bardstown PD are utilizing ICOM IDAS format (compatible with NXDN), which can not be monitored by any scanner without some special Digital Speech Decoder (software package) Also, 159.14250 Wash SO PD Dispatch , 151.05500 Wash Fire, and 151.14500 Wash EMS 1 Dispatch.are all digital(P25), but there is indication that they may be broadcasting analog also. . Someone from your area might be able to tell.

Otherwise,I didn't see any frequencies that your 350A could not receive in any of the other 2 counties. You need to read the notes on each page regarding who does what, but you probably just need to program what you want to hear.

Washington County
Marion County,
Nelson County

Digital Scanners run $400-600, so you should try programming the 3 digital; frequencies to see if you hear anything (digital will sound like noise), and if you hear voices.

Last edited:

Silverado05

I programmed all the frequencies that I could that were listed on this site under all three counties, but its always static usually. It could probably also be the junk antenna that came with it too I would think. And that software you posted, that's only for digital scanners right? not mine?

captclint

Mentor
I programmed all the frequencies that I could that were listed on this site under all three counties, but its always static usually. It could probably also be the junk antenna that came with it too I would think. And that software you posted, that's only for digital scanners right? not mine?
So it sounds like they don't broadcast in analog, Static is probably the noise digital makes, unless you receive static and no voice on more than just the 3 P25 frequencies.

If you are trying to use the telescoping antenna that came with it in the car, you are not going to get good reception unless the transmitter is close, and/or on a fairly high ground. You are better off trying it at home on the 2nd floor to see what kind of reception you can get outside a metal car.. Yes, I believe the software only works on a digital scanner, and is not really for a novice, and needs a computer in your truck.

Last edited:

Silverado05

It came with a glass mount antenna too, I never had any luck with the telescoping antenna in my house either though come to think of it....

Guess I should just go ahead and get a digital scanner then hu? any recommendations?

teufler

Digital scanners , we argue which is best like Ford and Chevy owners argue about their cars.I use a Uniden brand, others use a GRE/Radioshack now a Whister Brand. All three were for the most part identical. GRE is out of business, Whistler took over the line . RadioShack has been reported many good prices because it is rumored they are closing. If the area you are in requires p25 type II, you will be getting a 436, 536 or a HomePatrol 2. Otherwise you can be happy with a Uniden 396x\t or a 996xt. The 396xt and the 436 are handheld units, the other are base-mobile. If the area you are in, if they are running MotoTurbo, Nxdn, or encrypted, there is nothing that can decode those stations. I have found fire units seem to hang on to their analog systems and road accidents, fires, there fire units are dispatched, you can keep informed by listening to the fire if the police is somewhere else,

captclint

Mentor
I
Guess I should just go ahead and get a digital scanner then hu? any recommendations?
Digital will not improve your reception. If you don't get much in the house or car, you would probably be wasting your money. You really need to investigate just what frequencies you receive, If you consistently get all 3 of the digital frequencies, even though they have static, then I guess a digital might be OK. I would guess that they do not have static all the time...just when they are dispatching. However, I would consider getting a magnetic mount for the car if that is where you really want to have your scanner.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I suggest that you post in the KY state forum for better answers. It appears that for some of the PD broadcasts, you'll need a scanner capable of P-25. There is no trunk systems that you would need to monitor, so an inexpensive used scanner, many can be found in the RR For Sale forum further down the forums page.
Bardstown, as mentioned, has gone to NXDN. There are no scanners currently in production that will receive this without using digital decoding software and a computer.
HTH,
Larry

Silverado05

Do they make scanner antennas that look similar to cb antennas? I have a cb im putting in my truck within the next few days and planned on putting an antenna between the bed and cab of my truck, but I wouldn't mind putting one on the other side for a scanner if that would help? I'm sure the glass mount isn't really doing what it needs anyways...

Also, what do I look for in a antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.