NYPD S.O.D. vs Citywide 1,2 & 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1russian

This may be a silly question, but I have utilized the search engine and can't seen to find an answer to my question. Does anyone know the difference between the S.O.D. and the Citywide 1,2 & 3 freqs? I am familiar with what S.O.D. is used for and who uses it, however, I am at a total loss as to what the 3 different CW freqs are used for and by what unit. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Also, where can I find a detailed explanation of what each TAC channel is used for and by which units or departments?

Thanks in advance!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A better place for this question may be in the New York page.

New York Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

However, on TAC channels, are you interested in New York particularly, or TAC channels generally?

If it's a general question, the rule of thumb is that TAC or tactical channels, are extended unit to unit communications and may not necessarily involve dispatcher interaction. That is to keep lengthy conversations from tying up regular operations or dispatch channels. Of course each jurisdiction may have varying practices on use of TAC channels.

D1russian

I'm new to the board and I wasn't sure where to post this question, however, thanks for pointing me into the correct forum ofd8001. To answer your question thou, I am mostly interested in the simplex communications between NYPD officers. For example, when someone says for example "take it to 6", I was wanting to hear that conversation. Thanks again for your guidance and help!

Have a great day!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Simplex communications are pretty limited with respect to range if it is a portable to portable conversation. A scanner would have to be within a mile or two to receive it.

D1russian

I live within the confines of the 75th precinct and there is a lot police activity out here, especially close to where I am located. Also I live in a high rise, so my height might give me a little advantage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.