BCT15X scanner stops on noise too often

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott216

I have a new Uniden Bearcat BCT15X scanner that I setup to scan some frequencies that the Mount Snow ski resort in Vermont uses. On one of the Mount Snow frequencies - 461.350, call sign KNHA230 - the scanner stops on a lot, but it's normally just clicks and pops, no talking. So it's pretty annoying listening to this so much. Is there a setting I can change that will make have the scanner be less sensitive to stopping on this frequency unless there is actual talking?

ecps92

Does this occur on Tone ? or w/o DPL ??
If without tone, add the DPL then, might be a near-by LTR
Vermont Recreational Facilities - Scan New England Wiki

I have a new Uniden Bearcat BCT15X scanner that I setup to scan some frequencies that the Mount Snow ski resort in Vermont uses. On one of the Mount Snow frequencies - 461.350, call sign KNHA230 - the scanner stops on a lot, but it's normally just clicks and pops, no talking. So it's pretty annoying listening to this so much. Is there a setting I can change that will make have the scanner be less sensitive to stopping on this frequency unless there is actual talking?

scott216

Does this occur on Tone ? or w/o DPL ??
If without tone, add the DPL then, might be a near-by LTR
Vermont Recreational Facilities - Scan New England Wiki

Are you referring to the CTCSS/DCS tones? I don't have that setup, I only programmed the frequency and kept the default for everything else. In you link you shared I see the tone for Mount Snow is D032. I don't know much about the tones and never set one up in the radio. I don't know what DPL is, but I'm guessing from your post I should add in the D032 tone to my channel. I'll give that a try?

ecps92

Yes - on the CTCSS/DCS
DCS most commonly called DPL

Are you referring to the CTCSS/DCS tones? I don't have that setup, I only programmed the frequency and kept the default for everything else. In you link you shared I see the tone for Mount Snow is D032. I don't know much about the tones and never set one up in the radio. I don't know what DPL is, but I'm guessing from your post I should add in the D032 tone to my channel. I'll give that a try?

jfhtm350

If you have the correct PL or DPL tone programmed in, then the scanner will only open up when that tone is produced with the transmission thus eliminating interference or a neighboring county on the same frequency. If you program in the wrong tone, then you will not hear who you want to hear if anyone. Most repeaters (but not all) have a tone.

scott216

I added the DCS (D032) code to my 3 Mount Snow channels and I haven't heard anything for a while. So I guess they don't use them, or use a different one. Is there a way for my BCT15X scanner to determine if DCS codes are used on a frequency?

scott216

Program the channel as ANALOG and select SEARCH for the tone/code.

Thanks. I changed the channel to Search for DCS, I can't find any setting about ANALOG.

As I'm writing this, there was some talking on the channel and the display showed D031 for the tone, cool!

Voyager

Thanks. I changed the channel to Search for DCS, I can't find any setting about ANALOG.

As I'm writing this, there was some talking on the channel and the display showed D031 for the tone, cool!

As we are talking about a BCT15 here, there won't be analog/digital options. You did it correctly. Sorry for the info overkill.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I have my BCT15X connected to an outdoor antenna and I have to have the attenuation on or it's too much signal for it and does the same thing.

Voyager

Yes there is.

The Analog Options are DCS aka DPL and CTCSS aks PL

Which has nothing to do with digital modulation which the BCT15 series most definitely does not support. That's why there is no Analog/Digital selection for the reception mode.

As I said above, despite my overkill directions, he got where he wanted to go, and where I intended.

ecps92

Nobody said anything about DMR or P25.

We were talking about DPL and PL :roll:

Which has nothing to do with digital modulation which the BCT15 series most definitely does not support. That's why there is no Analog/Digital selection for the reception mode.

As I said above, despite my overkill directions, he got where he wanted to go, and where I intended.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber

As we are talking about a BCT15 here, there won't be analog/digital options. You did it correctly. Sorry for the info overkill.

Yes there is.

The Analog Options are DCS aka DPL and CTCSS aks PL

Nobody said anything about DMR or P25.

We were talking about DPL and PL :roll:

Scott, one of them is referring to DCS, Digital Coded Squelch, versus CTCSS, Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System, which is an Analog system. These are tones to reduce interference on a frequency.

The other is talking about a Digital Modulation system, like P25, which is evidently not supported on your scanner.

Not sure why they're bickering about it.

Delta

Voyager

Scott, one of them is referring to DCS, Digital Coded Squelch, versus CTCSS, Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System, which is an Analog system. These are tones to reduce interference on a frequency.

The other is talking about a Digital Modulation system, like P25, which is evidently not supported on your scanner.

Not sure why they're bickering about it.

Delta

I'm not bickering. I'm correcting. As you pointed out, I originally said:

You don't need to program the channel as ANALOG because there is no ANALOG/DIGITAL option because the BCT15 series is an ANALOG-ONLY scanner. It won't do DIGITAL, so it has no such setting like the digital scanners have. (on those, you would set the channel to ANALOG/DIGITAL first)

As I said above, I apologize for the overkill info, and as I also said the OP programmed it correctly and has his solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.