Hello everyone I'd like to introduce myself and ask a couple of Noobie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ130

I've been a member of the RR for quite a few years but never posted anything if my memory serves me correctly. I've been using scanners forever it seems and to be honest I would just come on here for the frequencies and then on my way. Recently I ordered a Uniden BCT15X which is supposed be delivered later on today. After reading around I really believe that scanner is gonna be short lived since it appears that digital is in more use in my area than I originally thought. However I will still use it for the time being. My first question is what would you members recommend for a SWR meter? I plan on getting into HAM radio with one of those inexpensive 2 meter handheld transceivers.

The next question has to do with digital scanners. I live in Agawam, MA which is about 5 miles from Springfield, MA and would be listening in on the Springfield PD and Fire along with the Mass. State Police which are both digital and the state is also trunked. I'm going to put up a Antennacraft st-2 on the gable end of my house which should put it at about 25-30 feet. What scanner would best fit my needs in these areas?

I recently finished my degree in electronics so this is a nice fit for me along with micro-controllers as well. One of the courses I took dealt in depth with antenna principals as well as other methods of propagation. We also looked at AM and FM and then at digital signals. I can still use the equipment to run tests as I developed a very good relationship with the professor.

I look forward to learning many new things in this area and meeting many new people as well. I am looking forward to my first hamfest though I probably already have most of the components I'll need already. I love soldering and tinkering which is why I think HAM radio will be very good for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling .

PACNWDude

Getting started, any economical SWR meter should do, as long as it is not one of those 5 Watt CB radio types. I have seen co-workers mistakenly put those in line with a 50 watt radio and the needle breaks instantly. MFJ makes some good ones.
You said you ordered a BCT15X scanner, that should you. I am on the other side of the country and use the same scanner with a Diamond discone antenna.
Welcome to the hobby and maybe profession. I have been working commercial radio for many years now. And it started with tinkering with old AM radios.

GrumpyGuard

I think it is great that you are getting into ham radio. I would like to make a suggestion for your first radio. I have purchases two cheap radios and they are just that cheap. spend a few extra dollars andbuy a good 2 meter radio. Handhelds are good if you are close enough to the repeater, but a mobie/base station might be a better option, as they have 5,10 and 50 watts of power. This will enable you to hit those more distant repeaters and get across town on simplex.

teufler

As GrumpyGuard suggests, a mobile radio , that can operate of a 12 vlt power supply, will treat yopu better than an HT. HT's are like laptop computers . They are convienent but lack the "horsepower" that you will need. They are not a primary radios. They have uses for volunteer activities. They are a "badge" of honor that shows your friends you are a ham. If youi are close to a repeater, they will do, but when mobile, you will experience signal drop outs. In between two big trucks on the interstates, or masked by some hills. Now the new cheaper radios that have showed up from China, they are not bad. They are less than 20% the cost of some of the brands you can look at. Software is 0 cost to lerss than $10, as Compared to $35-$49 dollars. They have some features than the expensive radios don't have, Frequency storage is light as compared to the Japenese radios. They have 1 yr warrenty the same as the expensive radios. They are primarily HT radios. The fit and finish of the expensive radios are better but I have never had anyone say, "you sound like you are talking on a cheap radio".

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
[This thread should probably be moved to an Amateur Radio Forum, based on the content of the OP.]
Let's ensure we're comparing apples to apples, i.e. comparing inexpensive lesser-known HTs to more expensive "big three" HTs. If so, everything noted about mobile rigs being better suited for use in a vehicle than an HT is on point. But let's not compare relatively expensive "big three" mobile rigs with inexpensive lesser-known HTs, which is apples to oranges. More appropriate comparison would be more expensive "big three" mobile rigs to less expensive, lesser known mobile VHF/UHF ham-capable rigs, such as:
- TYT TH-9xxx series mobile radios
- Anytone VHF/UHF mobiles
- Leixen LX mobiles
- Kirisun mobiles
Yes, I know many of the above get into price ranges similar to the "big three" mobile radios. But most of them do not, and are in fact much less expensive. Much has been written here on RR and elsewhere.... but more reviews / experiences are needed. As with all things, some of them are great values, and some of them.... well, have their troubles (as noted in other threads here on RR). However, I will not write that they are all worthless. With careful and knowledgeable selection they can be good value for the ham on a budget.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Suitable radio

There was a posting a few days ago that Kirisun is leaving the US market. I have a 780 and it is a good radio, but there will be no warranty or repair available if this report is accurate.

russ130

Well I got the BCT15X today and wouldn't you know it the ac adapter is missing. Lucky I had one kicking around that will suffice until I can get Uniden to ship me one. Either that or I can return it for another one which I'd really rather not do if I don't have to. Since I have it all programmed and up and running pretty much the way I want it to be. As far as the cheapy 2 meter handheld, I was referring to the $30 odd dollar ones on Amazon. I figure that will give me an idea and then upgrade to something much better and of in the format of a base station. I saw one on craigslist for like $350 that was 150 watts. It was older which suits me just fine since it may require tinkering from time to time. It's probably through hole technology so repairs would be much easier too. Thanks for the replies on the meter which I'm going to check out right now and probably purchase it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.