Purchasing a New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GShock75

I originally looked at the new Uniden "BCD536HP Digital Mobile Scanner with WiFi" model, but after seeing mixed reviews, I have decided to wait for the release of the Whistler WS1095 which I understand is a re-branded GRE PSR900, and though it has yet to be released, I think I can wait another month or two just to see how it actually stacks up against the Uniden. I do not in any way claim to be an expert in the scanner field, but when a established company like Uniden, goes through the trouble of hyping their flagship device with new innovative features, and then when it ships doesn't deliver, or furthermore approximately a year later and still doesn't deliver on these features or accessories, well, that raises a red flag to me. I am not saying it's a bad unit, I'm simply stating it makes me feel really uneasy, and I currently own 2 Uniden scanners.

I contacted Whistler support, and they replied almost immediately, they told me via email that I should check back in a month but they also informed me of "Whistler's Trade-In Program" that according to them, and the email that was sent to me, its any scanner, working or not, gives the predetermined discount based on their costs, so I just looked at it for reference, Scannermaster has the Whistler1080 for 499.95 however the form Whistler sent me, if I turn in my old Uniden BC898T which I have had forever, or at least seems like it, I can get the Whistler WS1080 for 383.50 saving me a little over 100 bucks for a really superior unit to the BC898T so if this pricing trend stays true with the discounting on a trade in, it would be safe to speculate that the cost of the up and coming WS1095 will be far cheaper than you can get it from an online website.

So my question is, how come if Whistler has a trade in program, this is the first time I have ever heard about it, or more importantly how often is this program actually used by you folks or do we all just horde our old devices, lol.

Attention captain obvious: I am well aware that I am comparing a handheld and a base unit, I am simply comparing for price and updated technology reasons.

cherubim

The Whistler trade-in program has been mentioned before in these forums.

I'm just curious to know how Whistler determines the value of ones old scanner for trade in. I hardly think Whistler would give someone $100 for a beat-up old Pro-2020. I could be wrong though.

GShock75

The Whistler trade-in program has been mentioned before in these forums.

I'm just curious to know how Whistler determines the value of ones old scanner for trade in. I hardly think Whistler would give someone $100 for a beat-up old Pro-2020. I could be wrong though.

Here is what was told to me via email:

Check back with me in a month. We are very close to releasing that model for sale.

I’m not sure if you are aware but we have a trade in program that allows you to trade in an old scanner, any brand, any model, in any condition (even not working) to receive a discount off of the purchase of a new Whistler scanner. I have attached the trade in form to this email for you to look over to get an idea of pricing. The discount is based on our cost, not on the condition or model of the unit you trade in. The trade in form doesn’t have the 1095 on it yet but when it becomes available we will add it.

Thank you for your interest!

Now this form is in my Dropbox, give it a second to load, its a 3meg pdf so it may take a few seconds depending on your connection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g17gaht6d7rij0/Whistler scanner trade-in form.pdf?dl=0

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm 90% happy with my 536 scanner. The other 10% will come when the Siren App is released, hopefully in a matter of weeks.

While there may be those who have issues with their scanners, issues with the Whistler scanners cannot be ruled out whenever the become available.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here is what was told to me via email:

Check back with me in a month. We are very close to releasing that model for sale.

I’m not sure if you are aware but we have a trade in program that allows you to trade in an old scanner, any brand, any model, in any condition (even not working) to receive a discount off of the purchase of a new Whistler scanner. I have attached the trade in form to this email for you to look over to get an idea of pricing. The discount is based on our cost, not on the condition or model of the unit you trade in. The trade in form doesn’t have the 1095 on it yet but when it becomes available we will add it.

Thank you for your interest!

Now this form is in my Dropbox, give it a second to load, its a 3meg pdf so it may take a few seconds depending on your connection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g17gaht6d7rij0/Whistler scanner trade-in form.pdf?dl=0
While the "trade in program" does give you at least some value for an older, perhaps non-working scanner, looking at the form the discount appears to be around $50 from the current prices I saw yesterday on Amazon. As the email response quoted notes, there is nothing on the form that indicates the trade-in value will be higher or lower based on the type or condition of the trade-in unit sent. Now, fifty bucks is nothing to sneeze at, but we often see sales with deeper discounts from either Amazon or one of the other dealers. So it may be something to consider, but first, I'd look at what else is out there. Some of the even non-functioning scanners, especially some of the GRE manufactured digital units, may well bring something at or above the $50 mark from someone needing parts. I have a PSR-500 myself, that I'm on the fence about whether to explore fixing it, or sell it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm 90% happy with my 536 scanner. The other 10% will come when the Siren App is released, hopefully in a matter of weeks.

While there may be those who have issues with their scanners, issues with the Whistler scanners cannot be ruled out whenever the become available.
I agree with you on that. While I have no plans for using the Siren app as a "remote head" in my vehicle, it would allow me to access the scanner from another room in my residence via my tablet. My 536 is in the rear of the house, in my home office, and connected to a rooftop antenna.

I'm also awaiting the Analyze features for both the 536 and 436, which should follow the release of the Siren app.

Status
Not open for further replies.