Buying a Scanner for my Husband

Status
Not open for further replies.

calli66

My husband has had scanners for quite a few years. They certainly weren't as complicated as those on the market today. He is currently using a Radio Schack PRO 528 and also has a Uniden XT96, however, they do not receive the local police transmissions. Scanner Master gives me a choice for our Martinez, CA area of the BCD396XT, Whistler WS1080 and Radio Shack PRO-51 digital handhelds. I've read reviews for them and was inclined to order the WC 1080.

He is not a techy person.

I would appreciate suggestions on which scanner I should purchase for his birthday.

teufler

Well you are right, the new scanners have a steep first frew learning steps. The Whistler is a cintinuation of the GRE line, as GRE closed down and Whiustler bought the plans to continue the line. Whistler use th4e Object Oriented type of programmin whu=ile the 396xt uses DMA technology. Both are fine units. I prefer the 96xt because of the numbner tag feature and its ability tapidly move to any freqyency similar th what was done on the scanner of 10-20 years ago. All scanners are out of date to the newest scanner platforms that are in place so no matter what you get, it wil be out of date one day.

baybum

Do you have any sisters? You are a rare find.
I think you made the right choice for a scanner, as did your husband for a wife.

Enjoy

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I see you're in Martinez CA. I also see from the RRef data base** that it has a P25 Phase 1 Trunked system for Contra Costa County. Contra Costa County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference That's a good source to see what you want other than Scannermaster. There is a 700mhz and 800mhz system in your area "East Bay Regional Communications System (EBRCS) project 25 Phase I" Looks like most all of it's in the open, not encrypted. I have used scanners since the crystal days in 1975. Always kept up with the new stuff. Today's latest Scanners need a computer to update properly. I now prefer the Object oriented scanning vs the old banks and channels since you're able to load ONLY the stuff you want to hear and can set up the software to be uploaded to the scanner in any way you like. You don't need to worry about FULL Memory!** showing for talkgroups* or other things on a Trunked system like the old scanners. Your budget and needs will make the decision but I recently upgraded from my old Pro96 to the Whistler WS1080. I posted 3 videos on Youtube to show what IT can do
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9tA1n1NRXLGUTINWXX1v_w/videos

I also posted a review of the WS1080 ON Scannermaster's site under the WS1080 page -johnnydollar. http://www.scannermaster.com/Whistler_WS1080_Digital_Handheld_EZ_Scanner_p/55-501879.htm The more I use this thing the more I like it. The EZScan Software is NOT that hard to use as there's many videos on youtube of people using the EZScan for the older GREPSR800s which are the same thing as the WS1080 except for newer firmware. You could also wait till Radio Shack comes out with the Pro-668 which is Their version of the WS1080. The only thing different will be the faceplate and software name. You can just walk in to RS and pick one up if there's still some stores near you open. At any rate, I'd recommend the WS1080 as it's ready for the future and easily upgrades since everything's on the MicroSD card. As I said in my scannermaster review. The reason I chose it was superior sound of digital decoding, uses 4 batteries instead of 3 like the Uniden 436 and has VERY easy MicroSD card access unlike the uniden. The good things IS, you have plenty of helpers on here to ask questions of or to read about no matter what you pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If portability (as in hand-held) isn't an absolute requirement, I'd suggest the Home Patrol 1. It is geared toward the casual listener who may not be "techies".

The Uniden BCD436HP is a portable scanner that doesn't require the same degree of learning needed with the models you mentioned in the original post. But the price tag is higher.

Buying scanners is like buying cars. Ford folks will recommend Fords, and Chevy people recommend Chevvies. The bottom line is they probably all have to be reasonably satisfactory or no one would buy them and they'd be out of business.

I'd suggest posting this question in the California page asking if there are any people in your area who use one type or the other and how well it performs with the system your husband wishes to monitor. They may be of further help, such as sending you a programming file so you don't have to re-create something that already exists.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I would recommend one of the HomePatrol scanners for that area's P25 Phase 1 systems. They are VERY easy to use. All you do is enter your zip code and the types of organizations that you want to listen to (Police Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, Police Car-to-car, etc). It's really that simple, except that you will want to occasionally hook it to a PC and perform database updates to make sure you have the latest information for monitoring the systems.

Since the Homepatrol-2 came out, you can find good sales on the Homepatrol-1 (especially at Radio Shack). The difference between the HP-1 and HP-2 is that the latter can receive P25 Phase 2 systems. If your area decides to go that direction, you are already ready for the transition.

calli66

Thank you for all your responses (and compliment).

My husband does need the portability aspect, as he (unfortunately) brings it along whenever we go anywhere. He bought a Homepatrol 1 in the past and it didn't work for him. I was going to have Scannermaster program whichever unit I buy, but it sounds like the Whistler 1080 may not be that hard to program. Our local Radio Shacks only have the RS PRO-649 in stock.

Do I need to purchase any other accessories? External adaptor, special battery charger?

Thanks also for the suggestion to use the California forum for programming help.

I really appreciate all your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.