Radio Shack pro-688 or Uniden BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnet158

Both are priced about the same. What does the uniden buy me (besides the larger screen) over the Radio shack pro? Any input is much appreciated.

This will be an upgrade from my current Pro-97.

Thanks!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
For one thing- Radio Shack has filed for bankruptcy. Even though the actual scanner was manufactured by someone else there is no telling who will support it if Radio Shack goes under for the last time. Keep that in mind when deciding. Read up on the Unidens. Uniden has been around for a long time and not likely to leave anytime soon.

baayers

With the difference only being about $20-$50 depending on where you buy I would drop the RS model in favor of the Whistler WS1080. For the most part the two scanners are identical however with RadioShack going under you will have a lot better experience with the Whistler brand. Also as bugs are discovered you will actually get firmware upgrades where you will probably not with the RS model.

As to the question of which is better it would help if we had a bit more information as to where you will use the scanner. I have both and have found from personal experience that there are places where one will do better than the other where the reverse may be the case in other areas.

gnet158

Thanks for the helpful replies. As luck would have it I made an offer on a new 668 of $325 and it was accepted. So if it's as described the I think I got a good deal. I'll keep you guys posted.

baayers

I personally own a 1080 which is the brother of the scanner you purchased and absolutely love it. I do hope everything works out well for you and welcome to the scanner world.

Status
Not open for further replies.