RS 20-047 cable for BCD436HP WS1080? | WS1080 requires continual RR.com + web access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EconoMode

1. Will my old orange Radio Shack 20-047 USB Scanner Interface/PC Cable work with the Uniden BCD436HP and Whistler WS1080 scanner?

If not please recommend one that will work with an old Windows Vista pc.

I hope to first run the Sentinel program with the BCD436HP. Getting ready, I do not have any of these scanners to see the connections yet.

2. If the WS1080 is dependent on any or continual subscription to radioreference.com for database programing. What happens when my subscription to radioreference.com and internet access terminates?

I see there is a time date feature built in to the scanner. Does that mean when my subscription to radioreference.com and access to the internet terminates. My scanner will no longer function, with the saved data base files, and I can no longer modify my saved files in the scanner and computer (discs) via my computer, that has no internet access in off line mode?

If the radioreference.com package and saved files still work with my offline pc without any online access required, like my old paid StarrSoft software, that will fit my need.

The problem is that my online access may likely terminate. My dial up provider is very slow, expensive and bad, that is all I have access to. The rising costs and my inability to use it with such slow and bad disconnecting service, may force me to terminate the service.

So I require software that once loaded on my pc, can work in off line no internet access mode. After my radioreference.com subscription is over. Until the day hopefully I can return online.

Having sold or in the process of selling all my old scanners, etc., I hope to have a BCD436HP and WS1080, to see which one runs better.

When funds allow, my next planned scanner purchase is hopefully the WS1080.

Given these circumstances. If I lack lasting internet access for subscription to radioreference.com.

Does that mean I should not purchase the WS1080? And I should only stick only with the BCD436HP, that may not so be internet dependent, to work the software packages, add and modify files via offline pc? Thank you

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
RS20-047 Cable

No. That RS 20-047 will not work with the WS1080. I have both the Pro96 which uses THAT cable and the new* WS1080. The Whistler has it's own USB power source/data transfer cable and the plug in is shaped totally different than the 20-047. You power the scanner from your PC and or Batteries. I can't speak for the 436HP but I suspect it's also shaped this way. I don't see how you can update the scanners with Dial-Up. The RRef data base is updated each Saturday for my WS1080. I have DSL and an SSD drive and it takes awhile to upload the updates even on fast equipment like that. I don't have a RRef account and update the thing with no problems. You don't need that membership with the WS1080, you simply click updates and download them through the EZScan software included, you choose the Systems and talkgroups and frequencies you want from a drop down menu on EZScan too. Todays new scanners need a fast Internet and PC. I really don't see how you can have a modern scanner like those and have dial-up trying to run them. Sounds like you'd be better off using the library's Internet to download updates onto your PC by their WiFi connection and upload to the Scanner using either Sentinel or EZScan. Some people have had trouble with EZScan and XP but I haven't heard any Vista problems as all you need is a USB outlet. I guess you only need to worry about updating the database as you can do everything else on the scanner itself or by the software as most systems don't change all that often. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

phask

Premium Subscriber
The x series from Uniden - similar answer, though I have heard of people using dial up to update.

It will need internet access to update it's database - no RR requirement - it's thru Uniden. Also needed for any firmware updates.

Cable is supplied and just a basic mini-usb.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
RS-20-047 cable

Sure thing. You can buy the scanners and use them with the PC but updating the Software then the SD micro card is the only thing to deal with. I love my WS1080.. made some videos to show other prospective buyers what it sounds like with trunked/conventional and Air-bands. *lower volume* I had it too loud

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9tA1n1NRXLGUTINWXX1v_w

iamretirednev

BCD436HP Vs RS Pro668

I have never had a scanner that programed thru a PC, LV Metro police went to P25 system and all my old scanners will not work for P25. I bought a BCD486HP mainly for the portable version and although computer able the programing with sentinel which it came with is not real newbie friendly. I am having to try and learn every facade of to get it to work. Anyway point of my post was that I am involved in several local facebook groups for neighborhood watches and emergency services monitoring. I admit my lack of knowledge is the cause of my unhappy view of the BCD436Hp, but this unit sucks, the batteries do not last, I have to have it plugged into a usb power adapter at home or in the car. The antenna it came with didn't work well had to get a RS 800. I got it pick up P25 transmissions only to get half of the traffic. The batteries it came with lost charging time in two months, had to replace them. I bought a radio shack pro668, which is the same as a ws1080 and PSR800, and got in the mail two days ago loaded LV Metro P25 system and sat the 486 and 668 right next to each and the 668, receives ten times better and now i can get the whole transmissions and the response to calls in which the 486 gets lost like nothing is being broadcasted on the same channel both set manual to the same channel. The RS Pro668 was $195, new on ebay, less than half I spent for the 486. Yea radioshack is gone but this 668 works well for the money.

I am not positive but the Ws1080 are the same to me, same manual, 1080 might have better PC programing ability. The old scanners are gone no more hit manual put in channel number and enter manual again are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.