BCD436HP WS1080 sd cards to buy? | Ignore encription but pickup clear for recordings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EconoMode

Excuse me for making this a long post.

The zenith of my skills are having USB flash drives on my pc via socket multipliers. I cannot even turn on the old pc with these USB socket multipliers installed.

My pc skills are very limited. I am embarrassed to admit, never even having seen a sd card.

1. So I do not purchase the wrong cards. For the BCD436HP WS1080, What sd cards (smallest to largest capacity for long recordings) and brands, should I get to stock up on?

2. For BCD436HP WS1080 How many hours of recording time do I get for the smallest to largest capacity cards?

Still waiting to receive the BCD436HP and hopefully a WS1080 later, so I have no experience with them. I am under the impression, I can place a card and record transmissions or from select frequencies, with a time date year stamp. This is something very new for me, coming from VOR recorders attached in the ear jack

Perhaps I can purchase also modern card player. Just noticed my old VISTA pc has some slots I have never used:

"The SD memory card slot on your computer supports the following memory cards:

SD memory card
SDHC memory card
MultiMediaCard (MMC)

Your computer has been tested and found compatible only with major memory card media available as of September 2006. However, not all memory card media that meet the same conditions as the compatible media are guaranteed of compatibility.

SD memory cards with capacity of up to 2 GB and SDHC memory cards with capacity of up to 8 GB have been tested and found compatible with your computer.

The SD memory card slot on your computer does not support the copyright protection and high-speed data transfer features of the SD memory card and SDHC memory card."

3. A question related to recording, with the BCD436HP WS1080 Can I do this: Ignore encryption to pickup clear only?

When a channel broadcasts in encryption. I want it ignored. But when an encrypted channel broadcasts in the clear, I want to hear and tape it, via external old voice activated recorder (VOR) connected to ear jack and/or the removable memory sd card.

I am also working to find a backup pc program VOR for Windows Vista, but since I am low on memory and the pc may be on its last legs. I may have to wait until I can get a new pc years later.

So I will have to make due with the sd card slot built into the scanners and a cheap VOR recorder, connected to the ear jack, for recordings at this stage.

Problem I had with the RS Pro 95, 96, 97 and 106, with my very basic skills is:

When I locked out channels broadcasting in encryption. I missed activity later, broadcast in the clear on the same channel.

If I leave on a VOR, the scan stops on one of many encryption channels, and begins recording the shooting gallery static of encryption.

The recording space is used up and the scanner pauses on the encryption and any static rushing sounds. So I may miss clear activity on other channels and banks (scan lists).

At this very low level stage of the hobby. Do the BCD436HP and WS1080 programing software address these options for: Ignore encryption but pickup when clear?

Some older encryption, also comes in clear for the first few words, then goes static. so I am not sure how quickly the software would address that, hopefully we get the clear part.

By the time I learn how to barely operate one of these scanners, technology advances make them obsolete. Sadly I need 700 MHz Phase 1 and 2 capable scanners, so I have been forced to let go all my old RS favorite handheld scanners.

Working on getting things ready for the new generation. I am still waiting to receive the BCD436HP in hand to test locally and with luck, a WS1080 or better later on.

Please also excuse me for not being able to edit, to remove content in my other post in the CA Bay Area forum, to ask the questions in a new thread here. Thank you

Voyager

Can't speak for the 1080, but for the 436 you can use cards from 4 GB (stock) to 32 GB. Some have reported using larger cards, but the manual says only up to 32 GB is guaranteed. I stuck with SanDisk since they are the OEM manufacturer, and one of the leading companies making the cards. My latest ones are 32 GB SanDisk Ultra cards (gray and red).

A3: The Uniden models skip encryption. I don't believe the GRE/Whistler models do.

Ed6698

The WS 1080 can ignore encryption, can use up to a 32gb sd card from what I have read. I am using a 16gb class 10 Kingston sd card. Recording does not need to be turned on manually at every startup, the best thing I like is that it only records what I want it to record.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
1. My WS1080 has the Lexar 4GB it came with and I bought a Samsung 32GB card since data transfer rates are faster just as using a SSD drive instead of a regular hard disk is faster. The little 4GB card will start up instantly but is slower when you update things, upload and download to and from the scanner. It's not a great big deal but I like the 32gb best even though it takes 25 seconds to START-up when you push the scanner/on.
2. Since I don't record more than one or 2 channels I can't answer on recording time. I don't get why Vista wouldn't be able to use a 32GB card, I've used my brother's old Vista PC and have used my 32GB flash drive in it but...whatever.
3. You can't record just parts of a broadcast on the frequency. You can only record what there is. when Importing a trunked system on the EZScan for the WS1080 you can hit "import options" and select to leave out any frequencies that are encrypted. On the WS1080 and maybe the 436HP too? YOU can use "tone" or silent* to keep the Encrypted noise from driving you mad. "Tone" sounds like a busy signal of a telephone. Importing Encrypted frequencies and monitoring those hoping for in the clear transmissions could be made easier on the ears with those options. I have some Federal Channels in Chicago not listed as Encrypted but they often jump in with encryption out of nowhere. The Tone* setting is great for that.
I purchased the WS1080 over the 436HP because WS1080 has 4 AA batteries instead of 3 for the 436HP, IT has a VERY EASY to access MicroSD card slot *not like the irritating metal slider on the 436HP. It *WS1080 also has a better sounding digital decoder to my ears. Finally the screen is more what I'm used to seeing instead of the 436HP's 3 levels going at once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed6698

I probably could have phrased it differently with the recording part on the 1080. I can choose what frequencies I want recorded. That in itself will allow for quite a bit of recording as I only have certain frequencies set for recording.

baayers

As an owner of a 436 and a 1080 this is my personal findings. The SanDisk class 10 cards the previous poster was referring to are a very good choice. As an alternative a good second runner up that I have found is the Samsung Evo class 10. I have personally used both cards that I mentioned in my scanners with full success. The last time I was in the bay area I picked up a couple of the Samsung cards at frys. They had the 16 GB cards for $12 and the 32 GB cards for $18. Normally I find that Amazon is the best price for the SanDisk cards.

As to the question about encryption the 436 will stop on a channel for a couple of seconds and your screen will display ENC but will then continue scanning. All of the robotic noise you would hear on older scanners is missing so you do not have to worry about locking the channel out and forgetting about it. On the 1080 the scanner will stop on the encrypted channel and you will hear a busy signal like you would hear on a telephone. Where the 436 has the upper hand is that it will resume scanning after a few seconds where the 1080 you will hear the busy signal until the transmission is done.

Hope this information helps.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP/WS1080

Luckily the WS1080 has a EncMode setting in the menu where you can choose Tone, NOISE, or Silent. So the same Silent advantage is there if you choose to record Encrypted stuff like the 436HP in hopes of a clear transmission

Voyager

I would only point out the the "few seconds" or "couple of seconds" is more like 100 mS. Unless you are looking at the display, you will likely miss the flashing of the TG. It even bypasses the delay to move on to find transmissions you can hear. It's very much more pleasant than the 2096 that has the loud R2D2 noises as it tries to decode the transmission.

Nasby

And for the WS1080 not to have a "skip" option for an encrypted talkgroup is just silly.

Last edited:

EconoMode

Excellent responses, thank you to everyone who posted.

Excuse my poor reading comprehension for seeing a possible contradiction in the posts re encryption "skip" but not lockout during recordings.

* Some members indicate the WS1080 will pause on the encrypted until the transmission is over. And it does not have a "skip" encryption feature.

* Another member indicates you can select Tone, NOISE, or Silent in the WS1080, for the same advantage as the BCD436HP.

Am I correct in understanding that both the BCD436HP and WS1080, have the "skip" encryption option, so I can record when clear only without locking the channel, so they are both equal with this feature?

Or is it only the BCD436HP with the superior feature for "skipping" encryption for recordings until it goes clear without lockout? Confirming this point, will dictate if I purchase another BCD436HP unit when funds allow, or WS1080. As a beginner, I had lots of problems with the older scanners slamming me with encryption music.

As a 700 MHz Phase 1+2 scanner that I need, too bad the WS1080 does not also have a signal stalker to "equalize" it with the BCD436HP. As a beginner, I seem to value that close call type feature as well.

As an owner of a 436 and a 1080 this is my personal findings...

As to the question about encryption the 436 will stop on a channel for a couple of seconds and your screen will display ENC but will then continue scanning. All of the robotic noise you would hear on older scanners is missing so you do not have to worry about locking the channel out and forgetting about it. On the 1080 the scanner will stop on the encrypted channel and you will hear a busy signal like you would hear on a telephone. Where the 436 has the upper hand is that it will resume scanning after a few seconds where the 1080 you will hear the busy signal until the transmission is done....

Luckily the WS1080 has a EncMode setting in the menu where you can choose Tone, NOISE, or Silent. So the same Silent advantage is there if you choose to record Encrypted stuff like the 436HP in hopes of a clear transmission

And for the WS1080 not to have a "skip" option for an encrypted talkgroup is just silly.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Recordings

I don't know what you mean at all then. If you don't want to hear encryption during recordings simply don't download any encrypted talk-groups or frequencies. It sounded like you wanted to record encrypted frequencies or talk-groups for some reason.

EconoMode

Sorry for not making it more clear as a beginner. Yes, I want to record encrypted channels only when they transmit in the clear.

I thought you posted that the WS1080 has the same encrypted skip feature baayers mentioned that the BCD436HP has. By setting the WS1080 Tone, NOISE, or Silent.

I thought you meant the WS1080 has an encryption "skip." I define "skip" to mean: As it when a channel transmits encrypted, the channel is skipped (but not locked out) during scanning and not recorded. But when the same channel transmits in the clear, I can record via scanner sd card, so I do not miss clear traffic on that same channel.

Reading baayers post I understood him to mean the BCD436HP has that encryption skip without having to lock out the scanner and miss a clear transmission.

I want to hear the encrypted channels only when they transmit in the clear for recording via scanner sd card (and my external VOR via ear bud jack). These channels interest me. Coming from the older scanners, I was not sure if such a skip feature had been invented yet. Thank you

I don't know what you mean at all then. If you don't want to hear encryption during recordings simply don't download any encrypted talk-groups or frequencies. It sounded like you wanted to record encrypted frequencies or talk-groups for some reason.

Nasby

In the Wildcard setting searching for new T/G's with the 1080 its a real PIA to have the scanner stop and pause on the encrypted T/G's. Especially if there is a local agency using fulltime dispatch encryption.

There should be a setting which gives the option to completely skip/ignore any encrypted T/G's rather than having the scanner pause on the T/G for the whole miserable, unintelligible conversation.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
recordings

If thats what you want to do then the 536/436HP sounds like it's best for you if they have some type of encrypt "skip" while recording encrypted channels. I think I'll try recording encrypted talk-groups on my WS1080 and use the silent* setting and see if I get a 99 silent hits and maybe 1 in the clear, I haven't tried it before. If Uniden has a skip all unless it's in the clear then that's what you want.

EconoMode

For the BCD436HP does SDHC = sd ?

Is a 32GB SanDisk SDHC Class 10 card compatible with the BCD436HP ?

For the BCD436HP Are "SDHC" cards the same as "sd" cards, or must they be marked "sd" only?

Saw this listed in one of the online specs for BCD436HP
"Encryption Muting - APCO P25 encrypted voice is muted automatically."

Hope this "Encryption Muting" also works for static and other Encryption modes that are not APCO P25, like some of you may have indicated. This seems to be a very nice feature.

Sorry for the bump, I cannot find the edit icon in my posts to edit my last post with this addition.

troymail

Silent Key
It might not be applicable for your situation - however, the x36 radios do not skip/mute on encrypted activity on P25 Phase 2 talkgroups. Also, and others have already mentioned I believe, you can be selective on the GRE/Whistler radios as to which channels and/talkgroup you want to record (and the radio remembers this between power cycles) but there is no global "record everything" option. In contrast, the x36 radios are only "record everything" (except detected and skipped encrypted channels) and you have to enable the recording every time you power the radio up.

I agree with and would love to see an user selectable OPTION to record only the non-encrypted parts of of activity. Sometimes talkgroups are full time encrypted but many times one side is in the clear and other times the talkgroup is completely clear. The reason I believe the option would be nice is most times I still want to record the data (radio ID, etc.) even if the voice is encrypted.

I record everything at all times and even with an original 2Gb SD card in my PSR800, I have only ever seen the full indicator maybe once. That is to say, the recordings are pretty small and the SD cards can take a lot of recording (of course that is also dependent upon what else you have on the card).

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP WS1080 sd cards t buy?

Regarding your original questions about recording times. Here's what the WS1080 manual says.
Recording and Playback
Your scanner features a powerful audio recording
system that captures transmissions that occur on
selected Objects to the MicroSD card using the high
quality, industry standard .AU audio file format.
For example, a **2GB MicroSD card with a very large
scanning configuration (e.g., 500 MB) still leaves room
for over **50 hours of recording time and thousands
of recorded transmissions! Here are just a few of the
things you can do with the audio recording system:
• Record all transmissions that occur on talk groups
or channels that are of interest to you for later
review.
• Perform attended or unattended searches for
new frequencies, automatically storing audio with
frequency information for all transmissions found
while searching.
• Record all transmissions that occur on ALL
talk-groups or channels, providing an instant recall
function to replay a prior transmission that was
missed or unintelligible.
Audio recording is not enabled by default. To enable audio
recording, make sure that the Enable Record option in the
Settings menu is checked, and set the Record flag in any
Objects that you wish to record. You may wish to record
audio for all of your programmed Objects, which provides
the ability to instantly replay any transmission that the radio
receives in cases where the traffic may be difficult to copy.
When recording is enabled radio wide and for
selected Objects, you will see the icon flash in the
display when the audio recorder is actively recording
audio information.
I rec'd a 4gb card with my WS1080 and now have a 32GB. Plenty of room for hours of recordings
The Photo is what the EZScan WS1080 recording tab looks like. I recorded several encrypted talk-groups and nothing in the clear snuck through.
I tried putting all recorded talk-groups on a separate scanlist *closed that list to see if you need to have it enabled to record, In other words does it record in the background? or do you have to listen to the scanlist itself to work. It will only record if you have the scanlist ON which gets irritating hearing the tones or waiting for the silent* recording to be done before moving on to scanning. A SKIP feature would be best.

EconoMode

Thank you for all the replies.

Update:

I finally received my BCD436HP. Before I can take advantage of all these features and the information in your responses. I need to address about 3 simple issues.

1) How to remove Micro SD card.

Since there are no pictures in the manual. Then I am trying to find the big sd card slot. :lol:

Keep in mind I have an old dying VISTA cpu that accepts SD cards. The big ones. I had missed the term Micro, and thought there was just one size of SD cards.

Looking at the battery compartment, I saw what was believed to be a exposed circuitry board. Then it dawned on me about the existence of Micros!

Now I am trying to figure out a way how to remove that tiny Micro card.

Since these Micros are not compatible with my old cup.

2) I need to find and purchase something external, that will enable me to copy the contents of the supplied Micro SD card to another Micro SD card, for back up purposes.

Without purchasing a separate external Micro SD card reader or copier device (whatever is the appropriate term). With Sentenial already on my cpu, for back up purposes. Wish I could upload everything on the factory Micro SD card up to my cpu (like I did with Starsoft with my old RS scanners). Then insert a blank new Micro SD card in the radio. Then transfer that data to the scanner's newly installed Micro SD card. I see some upload, etc., tabs in the Sentential. I just need time to figure out this system.

Coming from a zero primitive man knowledge base, the Starsoft and RS radios up to and including the Pro106 were simple to figure out, just seconds, no effort required.

After loading the Sentinel to the cpu. Then clicking to open, it took over 11 hours to open up on my old cpu the first time. Sometimes the cpu crashes (my fault, old dying system), but now it seems to open up much faster, just a few seconds.

Next thing 3) I need to figure out how to enter frequencies and talk groups in the Sentinel.

Having had that great Starsoft software. I thought I could just type in or drag and drop talk groups and frequencies.

I opened up my county on file in the Sentinel, it had just two talk groups. I can't seem to find a way to print any additional talk groups below that. My goal here is to setup up just one county and a few cities to get the scanner running.

I have not updated the scanner yet for fear I will be stuck online on dial up for many hours, if not days.

Love this BCD436HP scanner, can't wait to get it operational at the basic level. Then get a WS or another 436. I am off to the store to buy some Micro SD cards. Thank you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.