BCD436HD on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
When the wife says, "Get a scanner" ...you get a scanner!

I decided to go for the gusto and order the BCD436HD. My occupation requires me to move around regularly and keeps us on the road. So I wanted to get a scanner that could handle it all.

Is it really as simple as entering the zip code and you're in business?

Any tips as to anything I should right off the bat?

Our location is presently Tulare County, CA, and I'll be in the L.A. area in a month or two. Then we may stay in CA or head down to the South or to the Northwest. Just including this info in case it is relevant to any advice that might be offered.

Thanks in advance.

mdale

My bcd436hp just came today. I was up listening in 5min, but now getting lost in all the options and menus. Are there any suggestions or newbie guides for this?

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
I have read that there really is no one antenna that shines in every aspect of reception.

Being that I will be traveling, I'd like to have a a few antennas to help me get the best reception for the area I am in.

Can I get some suggestions as to what those needs might be and what antennas shine in particular frequencies?

Thanks.

Last edited:

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I have read that there really is no one antenna that shines in every aspect of reception.

Being that I will be traveling, I'd like to have a a few antennas to help me get the best reception for the area I am in.

Can I get some suggestions as to what those needs might be and what antennas shine in particular frequecies?

Thanks.

If your planning on traveling check state and some local laws ( especially local) cause some municipalies prohibit the use of a scanner in a motor vehicle that is in transit. Same goes for radar detectors. Most states allow the use of them but a select few have some laws that may prohibit or restrict the use of scanners in a motor vehicle.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
john,

That is very good advice! Thanks.

There are forum on RR here that discuss and will direct you to find these laws. Local laws ( ordinances) are going to be near impossible to search thought each local code for each municipality but just check state laws and you should be alright. Nobody ever knows if you have a small mobile with a 1 foot antenna or a handheld, but if you have a decent antenna attached to your motor vehicle.. It can attract some attention from people. That's all

Voyager

Just google "state scanner laws" and you should find a page that summarizes them.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
The BCD436 really is as easy as entering the zipcode. I did a cursory look at the manual (I love reading manuals) and entered the zipcode and was listening right away. This was just minutes after unboxing it.

It is great to be able to enjoy your scanner while you figure it out.

unpltd

Don't forget to update the scanners database by hooking it up to a computer and running Sentinal software once and a while, the database is update weekly on Mondays.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
You will have no problem with scanners here in Los Angeles. The 436HP and brother 536HP are the scanners of choice, in my opinion, here in Los Angeles. Wait til you monitor the LAPD on your 436HP. You will really enjoy that scanner. It is excellent for radio-dense areas like Southern California.
Steve AA6IO

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
You will have no problem with scanners here in Los Angeles. The 436HP and brother 536HP are the scanners of choice, in my opinion, here in Los Angeles. Wait til you monitor the LAPD on your 436HP. You will really enjoy that scanner. It is excellent for radio-dense areas like Southern California.
Steve AA6IO

Thanks for the enthusiasm and input. Looking forward to using the scanner down there!

Status
Not open for further replies.