Setting Scan Edges on my ICOM V80 HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turoc

I have an ICOm V80 IC-V80 HD VHF FM Transceiver - Features - Icom America HT. I'd like to tell it to scan the entire 2M band if possible but I am not quite sure how to set it up to do that.

I am sure there is an easy way to do that, but I need some help figuring it out. I want to scan all bands so when I am out 4 wheelin in the desert, I can see if there is anyone else not in our group out there.

I tried attaching the manual, but it failed to upload. If you click on the link above, there is a link to the manual for those that are not familiar with this radio.

Thanks.

Turoc

In case anyone needs to know what this is about, I emailed ICOM to find out what this was all about. I got an answer in less than 3 hours time. That is EXCELLENT customer service. You can't beat that. Here is what they said.

The type of scanning you described is called Programmed Scan, or it's also referred to as "Band-Edge Scanning". This is where you will assign a lower frequency to start out on and end with an upper frequency that you assign. These frequencies must be programmed into special memory channels that start with channel 1a for the lower limit and channel 1b for the upper limit. In this example, this frequency pair is named P1. If you assigned memory channels 2a and 2b for the lower and upper limits, that frequency pair would be names P2, and so forth. I have attached a page from the full instruction manual that describes programming the channels and how to start and stop Programmed Scan. I hope that this will be helpful.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As th the IC-V80 is not a scanner but a amateur radio transceiver, I am sure you have your ham licence or will be obtaining it. A lot of the amateur radios are much slower at scanning than is a true scanner. You could also set up memories with the repeaters in your area and put the simplex frequencies according to your area into memory. This may give a faster scan than VFO.

Turoc

It looks like I have posted this in the wrong area of this forum. Sorry about that. In my defense, my question was about scanning. :)

The ICOM HT does a nice job at it and I can set how many seconds it loiters on a Freq.

Mods: please move this if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.